なおす - Grammar Discussion

To do over
to do again

Structure

• Verb[stem] + なおす

View on Bunpro

With the sentence 水に見えるけど、みなおしたら ミルクティと分かる。
Why is it なおしたら? What does the ら do? I’ve looked around the Bunpro website for what that means but I can’t find it.

1 Like

@Tooko554 Hey! This comes from たら, meaning “from when” or “if.” Essentially, this sentence means “If I look again…” or “When I looked again…” Cheers!

Is it just me or is the audio for this sound weird. In the transition from 文章 to 書き I swear I’m hearing a ぼ sound.

It sounds more like wo to me. I don’t think it’s weird, to me it sounds like she’s just making sure we hear the を.

Are you saying they should 直す it?

5 Likes

Hey,

I don’t see why 「水に見えるけど見直ればミルクティと分かる。」 wouldn’t work in that context… even if that’s not what’s being requested.

見直ば should work.

I am confused about this sentence:

その時は大変だったが、経済がもちなおしたから大丈夫。

I was under the impression 直す was a transitive verb. However, an economy recovering seems to be an intransitive thing. So I tried to put もちなおった instead of なおした and it was marked wrong. Can someone explain why this one is the way it is?

1 Like

[持ち直す - recover, improve]

This is the compound verb for that example sentence.

I just checked on Shirabe Jisho and it is a transitive verb. There is no entry for 持ち直る so I don’t know if that verb exists. Either way, the grammar point is stem + 直す.

1 Like

It doesn’t mean much that 直す is transitive as a standalone verb. In compound verbs like this, transitivity is determined by the first verb. Another way to think about it is that when 直す is an auxiliary, the “object” (the thing you 直す) is the verb it’s attached to, in this case 持ち. Compare to other auxiliaries like 始める.

Transitive 持ち直す is e.g. when you put down your bag because your hand hurts and then you pick it back up with the other hand. (Transitive 持つ means “to hold” etc.)

Intransitive 持ち直す means “to recover”. (Intransitive 持つ means “to last” etc.)

3 Likes

Got it! I think this is the core insight I was missing.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

This example sentence:

もう一度考え直しませんか。
Won’t you reconsider?

I’ve gotten this wrong twice now in reviews using the answer 考えなおしてくれませんか which is the first thing that pops into my head when reading, “Won’t you reconsider?” Does it sound natural or clunky? There is no context but the request is most likely for the speakers benefit, right? If so, can it be added to one of those ‘nice guess but we are looking for a different answer’ type responses?

I got this particular question right. But I cannot understand the sentence at all. What does the 色々 correspond to? Wouldn’t dropping it and just having “as for me, I have many rethought things” 私は思い直す事が多い, have the same meaning?
Why isn’t it just 私はよく思い直します?

Hey @Sodaira!

It seems like the 色々 was not included in the translations so we have tweaked the translation so that it is included in the English translation. 色々 corresponds to ‘things’ in this sentence, referring to the ‘various things’ the speaker tends to rethink.

I hope that this answers your question!

Hi, I don’t understand this example. I convinced myself that it was probably past form (ta) because of the 方がいい/ it would be better. But why is the non past form also correct. What is the difference?

2 Likes

I was wondering the same thing.

They may have made changes to the ほうがいい grammar point recently, now at the end of it it now mentions that the dictionary form can be used, but is understood as more of a general opinion rather than direct advice to the listener.

I think in this case though, it sounds much more like direct advice than a general opinion, but maybe there’s more nuance to it than just that.