to make something
to change
to become
transform into

Structure

• Suffix
  • Noun + + ( する )
  • Noun1 + + する / した / + Noun2

[A suffix creating する verb that indicates an act, process of making something, or transformation]

[In very formal writing like in titles of articles, in books or a thesis it can be seen in kanji compounds without の: プラスチック液化法及びその応用 ( Plastic Liquefaction Methods and Practical Use )]

View on Bunpro

1 Like

I fail to see, when I have to add する after か and when it can be omitted.

Is it dependent to what comes after ? Like a verb, noun etc ?

5 Likes

I’m looking at this sentence, and I’m really not sure why this one is 化 instead of 化する?

20世紀には経済成長の原因の一つは自動化だと感がられている。

The only thing that I can think of is that in this particular case, 自動化 may be a commonly accepted adverb?

Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

原因の一つは自動化だ - one of the causes is automation

原因の一つは自動化する - one of the causes is automating itself (nonsense, and the following だ would be ungrammatical)

1 Like

I have a question about a hint I’m getting in the picture below.

The hint is telling me that 自動 is a noun. My issue is how is that a hint at all?
What the question wants me to do is remove する and only insert か.

But telling me that the word before is a noun doesn’t seem to matter at all because the structure given only gives information for nouns. Or is it telling me it’s an adjective I really don’t know I look it up and it says it gets used as both, maybe the hint could TELL me which one it is in this sentence. And if it’s an adj how does that tell me anything?

Am I not getting what the hint is trying to tell me or what’s going on?
How am I supposed to use this hint to learn when to add する and when to not add it?

I just wanted to comment that this grammar point has got to be one of the hardest ones to really understand (as an English native speaker).

I know it’s bad practice to try to translate things word-for-word, but I can’t wrap my head around this grammar point.

Isn’t it pretty similar to how it works in English though. E.g. we can take the noun “simple” and the suffix “-ify” (originally from a Latin word for “make”) and make a new verb “simplify” that means “make simple” or “change something so it becomes simple”. And we can also take this verb and the suffix “-ation” (for a “process”) to make a corresponding noun “simplification” that means “the process of making something simple”.

In the same way we can take the noun 簡単 (simple) and make a new verb 簡単化 する (simplify), and the matching noun 簡単化 (simplification).

I guess a word-for-word translation is difficult because English has a bunch of ways to do this, and they’re not exchangeable, and generally rooted in Latin or Old French and no longer recognisable as individual words, and sometimes the same suffix can have multiple roots, and sometimes people don’t agree whether two words are the same, or different meanings, or one is just misspelled (like liquefaction vs. liquification)…

3 Likes

E.g. we can take the noun “simple” and the suffix “-ify” (originally from a Latin word for “make”) and make a new verb “simplify” that means “make simple” or “change something so it becomes simple”.

Oooh, I like this explanation! Cheers!