たら - Grammar Discussion

Am I the only one confused by the fact that the verb preceding ら is in its past form, even though the entire sentence isn’t? :sweat_smile:

It makes me think that 食べたら means “if you ATE” instead of “if/when you EAT (in a hypothetical future)”.

2 Likes

Hi guys! Just one quick question. I´ve heard in a bookclub that there´s a casual version of たら that´s written as しちゃ. Maybe as in: したら > しちゃ. However, I´m not able to grasp it nor find any info online. Anyone has any feedback on it? Thanks!

As far as I’m aware, しちゃ is a casual form of ては in certain situations, and maybe has a negative nuance (??maybe??). I’ve never heard it in place of たら before.
食べてはいけません ⇒ 食べちゃダメ
This is the best I’ve got :joy:

1 Like

Maybe it was in a context where both しては and したら would have worked?

Apart from that, ちゃ can also be といったら, I think…

1 Like

Many thanks @matt_in_mito and @nekoyama for your feedback!

For sure there is some conditional nuance in the sentence (or if not, something which works withては such as “since” or “because”) but the problem is that I can´t work out whether the ちゃ eliminates (or includes) the て form as in ちゃう from てしまう. Here´s the sentence in context, just in case you guys can figure it out:

なんでおいていっちゃうの! 独りにしちゃやだよ

For sure it means something as: “Why did you have to leave me behind?! I don´t like to be alone” but it´s the grammar I´m missing.

I think this is just ては. I would understand it as something like “Why are you leaving me behind? I don’t want you to leave me alone!”

ちゃ as a contraction for ては includes the て.
独りにしては嫌だ.

2 Likes

I see, so maybe the nuance for the ては is causal, as it says in this link (Meaning 1)?

https://jlptsensei.com/learn-japanese-grammar/ては-では-tewa-dewa-meaning/

As if: [Because] I don´t want you to leave me alone! My main concern is why the author chose to use the ては structure

Cheers! Many thanks for your help! :relaxed::ok_hand:

1 Like

At the top of this page for the grammar discussion the i-adjective is listed as:

• いAdj[かった] ・ら

However, in the actual grammar lesson page it is listed as:
[い]Adjective[た]+

A lot of the example sentences requires the first method and not the second. In fact I don’t really understand the second. Can someone clarify this point? When do we use the i-adjective with かったら vs with just たら?

If it’s always supposed to be かったら can someone change the lesson structure page to reflect this? @BunproSupport

The たform of いadjectives always ends in かった. I think they were trying to simplify their markings, but yeah probably the older markings are clearer.

1 Like

Ah thanks, now I understand the piece that I was missing.

1 Like

Could someone explain the rules on when this is かったら

To me it looks like it’s for い adjectives but it doesn’t seem to explain it.
Which is annoying because half of the example sentences look like they wants かったら
And yes I understand the possibility that it’s very clearly and obviously stated and I’m just blind, so I would also accept just being told where it is explained.
Because directly above my friend Drew671 asked the same but it looks like they’ve updated the grammar point since then so I’m not sure.

You’re right, it’s for い adjectives (and for words that behave like them, e.g. a verb with an attached auxiliary adjective like -たい or -ない). This grammar point uses the past form plus ら, and for い adjectives you make the past form by replacing the い with かった.

I agree that the explanation isn’t super clear if you just look at it and there also seems to be a bug with the links. For me, both “Verb[た]” and “[い]Adjective[た]” bring up the explanation for the past form of い adjectives. But if that worked correctly, you could click on these two and see the difference.

1 Like

TY! :slight_smile:

もし食べに行きたかったら、行こう
If/when you want to go out to eat, let’s go!

I can’t figure this one out, despite the explanation earlier in the thread.
The た in たかったら is from たい, but ‘If you want to’ isn’t past tense, so why is たい conjugated to past tense?

Because that’s how たら is used, past tense with a ら

1 Like

Oh my. Completely missed that one. Thank you so much, spent an hour googling for an answer :smiley:

1 Like