Structure

• Verb + つもりで
  • Noun・の + つもりで
  • なAdj・な + つもりで
  • Verb[た] + つもりで = instead of…; act as if/pretend

View on Bunpro

There is this example:
受験じゅけんするつもりで 勉強べんきょうすると、集中しゅうちゅうりょくいてくる。
Can ために be used here instead of つもりで? From what I’ve learned it should be possible, but bunpro marked this as a mistake for me

Yes you can! But the nuance is slightly different (almost the same, so don’t worry about it too much!)
If you use つもりで it’s like “if you study with the intention of taking a test”
If you use ために it’s like “if you study for taking a test”
Even in English we wouldn’t really notice the difference between these, but the nuance still exists.
For me, this would be one of those cases when I think using backspace is perfectly acceptable. :joy:

1 Like

I demand “Can you say it another way?” nonetheless :joy:

1 Like

OK I’ll join you in that demand!

Isn’t the difference a bit much for just some orange text? The question wants “with the intention of” and that’s never ために because ため isn’t about what one thinks.

There is an example in ため(に)grammar that is close to the one here
日本語にほんご能力試験のうりょくしけんかるために 頑張がんばって勉強べんきょうしている
I honestly don’t see the difference. ため(に)is translated as “for”, “in order to”, “for the sake of” which sounds equal to “with the intention of” to me

Even in English these sound super different to me (but English isn’t my native language). One feels like the important point is taking a test, the other feels like the important point is the mindset I’m in.

Would someone be able to explain the difference of つもりで & ふりをする when looking at the context of “act/pretend”?

Specificially under the example sentence

車掌しゃしょうになったつもりで、毎日まいにち電車でんしゃっている

Entering in ふりをして brings up the hint saying “Nice guess! Can you use a grammar point that also carries the meaning of “with the intention of.”” The hint makes sense when the context of act/pretend isn’t being used, but otherwise I’m just left a little lost. Maybe it’s example sentence throwing me off, but hopefully someone smarter than me can help point me in the right direction!

@Fuga if you have some time can you shed some light on this? :bowing_man:t3:

2 Likes

つもりで and ふりをする both mean pretend, but with a slight difference in nuance. In the sentence, 車掌しゃしょうになったつもりで, つもりで has the nuance of ‘as if I am the conductor of the train’. When I read this, I imagine that the speaker is thinking in his head that he is the conductor when he rides the train. When つもりで is replaced with ふりをして, this sentence would have the nuance that the person is ‘impersonating’ as a conductor, as in, he is dressed like a conductor and imitates what the conductor does.

I hope that helps you understand the difference a little better.

3 Likes

Aaaaaa yes 100% that makes sense, thanks!!

1 Like