it goes without saying
it is needless to say
of course
obviously

Structure

• 言うまでもない + こと/の + だが、Phrase
  • (Phrase) + 言うまでもなく 、Phrase2
  • (Phrase) + 言うまでもない + が/けど、Phrase2

[Used to express something obvious, not surprising. Often used to remind/confirm something that should be already known or for emphasis. Can also express “not only, but also”]
[言うまでもないことだが is the most formal variant, generally used only at the beginning of the sentence]

[Lit. “although it is not necessary to say _____ because you already know, I will still say ______”]

View on Bunpro

Is there any real difference between this and the #1 言うまでもない grammar point? I get the feeling that there might be but (unless I’m missing something!) based off the example sentences I’m not seeing what it may or may not be.

Less to do with the above question, but if there is a variance it would be nice to have the example sentences hone specifically towards this variant to help highlight it for the learner.

(1) is “_____ (というの)は 言うまでもない”
(2) is “言うまでもない けど、_____”

But I agree, not much difference in nuance.

1 Like

That’s what I initially picked up on too, but was confused how the overall sentences meaning changed. Thanks for the examples!

2 Likes

Can you help me understand something about the sample sentence いうまでもないけど、それが恋こいだった ?

Your rules say that if the phrase starts with 言うまでもない directly, then it should be followed by こと/の+だが、

And yet when I answered 言うまでもないことが、ぞれが恋恋だった?, it was marked wrong.

Didn’t I follow your rules? Maybe I made a typo?? I hope you can help. Sorry for the trouble.

1 Like

Hey there!

It’s mostly because it doesn’t need to use the full structure all the time. It may be followed by ことだが, が, けど, and similar expressions, to add the nuance of ‘but’.

Adding こと nominalizes what comes before it to further contrast or make a point, as you can see in this sentence:

うまでもないことだが、毎日漢字勉強をすれば、どんどん漢字

えることができる。

It goes without saying that if you practice kanji everyday, you will steadily memorize them.

The ‘that if you…’ nuance is what こと adds.

That’s why the answer in that specific sentence needs to be けど.

Hope this helps!