given

Structure

• Verb + からには
  • Verb[ ] + からには
  • A からには 、B

[B is because of A・given A, B]

[Words like つもり、たい、ことだ、べきだ、はずだ、ほうがいい、なければいけない、てください are often used with B]

View on Bunpro

Is anyone able to explain the difference between 以上(は)and からには?

A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar states,

S1 以上S2 cannot be replaced by S1からにはS2, if the former means “as long as,” otherwise the replacement is possible.

However the Bunpro meaning of からには is “as long as.”

からには is a grammar pattern that is in A Dictionary of Advanced Japanese Grammar, which I do not own.

A couple of examples from DIJG to help with explainations:

1. 体をよく動かしている{以上は・からには}、人間の体は衰えないらしい。

2. 酒を飲み続けている{以上・からには}、病気は治らないよ。

In both of these examples, 以上 is explained to be possible, while からには is said to be ungrammatical. Can anyone explain why? If translating からには to “as long as” or even “since” then it seems to make perfect sense. I’m confused as to why they are ungrammatical.

Thank you.

1 Like

Some things I noticed (but I don’t totally get it)…

• からには is only used with た-past or る-present, while 以上 can be used with ている present progressive. So, I think that DIJG definition means that you can’t use からには if S1 is still happening when S2 happens. (In the case of present verbs, they’re some momentary action.)
  • Both of those DIJG examples use ている in S1.
  • Personally, I never really liked the translation “as long as” for からには. It usually doesn’t fit as well as “since” or “now that”.
  • 以上 kanji gives me the image of “building on top of”, while からには gives me the image of “from this starting point”

I have the same questions as everyone else here along with one more. This grammar point isn’t very elaborated upon and I don’t think I understand the use cases fully.

• What’s the difference between this and から when used as “since?”

When compared to から, it seems to have more of an active nuance than passive. Kind of like “Now that” instead of “so.” This is just a shot in the dark, though.