can
may be

Structure

• Verb[ なく ] + はない
  • Noun・は/が + なくはない
  • いAdj[ ] + なくはない
  • なAdj・じゃ + なくはない

:warning: なくもない is also acceptable

[Often used with potential form of a verb・Used to express feelings of half-heartedness]

View on Bunpro

So is this just a casual contraction of ないことはない?
ないことはない | Japanese Grammar SRS
…and also, for some reason, a slightly different conjugation with a Noun?

Hey @FredKore !

なくはない is not a casual contraction of ないことかない, as it has a slight difference in the nuance. なくはない has a nuance of ‘I have a feeling that it is possible (gut feeling). However, coming to that conclusion is difficult’. ないことはない has the nuance of ‘I know that it is possible. However, getting that result is not going to be easy’. This one is used to let the listener know that you can do something, but some effort will have to go into it.

For example:
集中ができなくはないが、空想するがしやすい。
It’s not that I can’t focus, it is just easier to daydream. (I have a gut feeling that I would be able to focus if I really tried, but it is easier to daydream, so I will daydream)

集中ができできないことはないが、空想するがしやすい。
It’s not that I can’t focus, it is just easier to daydream. (I know that I can focus, but I’m having a hard time because it is easier to daydream, even though I am trying my best to focus)

The sentence that uses ないことはない sounds more like the speaker is willing to focus, even though it is easier to daydream. However, the second sentence sounds like they feel like they will be able to focus, but because it is hard, they are not too worried about trying too hard to focus.

The nuance difference between these two are very slight, but I hope that this explanation can help you clear up the difference a little more!

2 Likes