てから - Grammar Discussion

after doing

Structure

• Verb[] + から

View on Bunpro

1 Like

How is this different then using の後で?

1 Like

According to the GuideToLearningJapanese reading listed, ~てから is “after ~ing” and 後で is “later”.

飲んでから = after drinking
後で飲みます = (I) will drink (it) later

1 Like

There is a brief but very useful description of てから on Tae Kim’s guide at the bottom of “Before and After” that could be added to the reading list

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing! I have updated the Readings section to include your link. Cheers!

1 Like

I constantly get て form conjugation wrong because I do not recognize any pattern for when a る verb conjugates to -って or -て. Is there a pattern or is it just ‘memorize when a verb is like this’?

なる→なって
見る→見て

Nevermind, seems that I forgot about -eru -iru -aru and exceptions…

Hey, I got a question. so in the first example sentence for this grammar topic

日本語の勉強をしてから、日本に行きます。

Why is “の” placed as the particle for studying Japanese. Is it because it interpreted as Japanese studies or is it simply because the particle “を” is already used one and the “の” is used to not double the “を” particle since its being used in for the “to study” Suru verb.
Essentially could the sentence also work as:

日本語を勉強してから、日本に行きます

or would this be incorrect?

Just some curiosity that occurred to me.

1 Like

@znic1998
This is a very, very good question!

日本語を勉強してから、日本に行きます
日本語の勉強をしてから、日本に行きます
are both correct and natural.

(Objects of verbs are marked with を)
In the first case, you treat the whole “勉強する” as a standalone verb and 日本語 as the object of that verb.
In the second case, you treat 勉強 (part of 勉強する) as a noun, which is the object of verb する. Because 勉強 is a noun, in this case, to modify it (describe it) with another noun you need particle の.

So, if we try to translate it very, very literally:
日本語を勉強する can be approximated to “to study Japanese”
while
日本語の勉強をする can be approximated to “to do Japanese study”

We generally don’t use を more than once in one clause (part of a sentence).

To sum up,
you can split some するverbs like “勉強する” to noun “勉強” + verb する, but in that case, you have to mark 勉強 with を(勉強をする), as any other noun you “do” with する.
And since it becomes a noun in that case, then what would be marked with を if 勉強する was used (日本語を勉強する) will have to modify (describe) our noun (勉強) with particle の(日本語の勉強) creating a noun phrase that will be the object of verb する “to do”.

I hope it helps,
Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks! Super good explanation and quick reply. You really explained it well, I think I got it.

1 Like

I keep getting this point mixed up with Verb[て] + B. So frustrating putting in an answer and getting the snarky “Can you add something to the end of this?”.

Question about this sentence:
涼すずしくなってから、スポーツをしたい

Why is it 涼すずしくなって… and not 涼すずしくって…? In other words, why is there a な in this i-adjective?

涼しくなる → to become 涼しい

This grammar point doesn’t really work with adjectives since it expresses a chronological sequence. But with なる it works.

1 Like