や - Grammar Discussion

**and

• and the like
  • things like ~**

Structure

• Noun + + Noun

*[When listing nouns: や - Non-exhaustive

• と - Exhaustive]*

:warning: Cannot be preceded by a verb phrase (とか can)

View on Bunpro

I have a doubt with one of your samples. Why in 火曜日かようび や金曜日きんようびも、スポーツするつもりです。appears も after 金曜日? What tries to say with it? Thank you.

Hey! :grinning:

It means something along:
I exercise on Tuesdays and Fridays too!
So in previous sentence speaker could say that he does sports on weekends. etc

週末だけではなく、火曜日や金曜日も運動する。
I do sports not only on weekends but also on Tuesdays and Fridays too. For example.

:+1:

I see. It’s good to see examples like this, be ause they’re not easily foundable, but without the full context they can be troublesome because they can confuse what to answer. It should be mo? It should be ya? And fail because missleading can be frustrating :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, that is true!. For that reason we are trying (unlike many books) to provide context for grammar points that need it, like:
わけではない

I will add some context to this sentence too :smiley:

What does this mean?

Hi,
I have some trouble understanding this sentence:
冷蔵庫に肉 とかがあります
I don’t understand why the “とか” part is here, and what it means ?
I supposed it was the equivalent of “や” but as “や” is more formal than “とか” I am not sure why they would be mixed ?

@Inounx Hey! You are right that や is usually considered more formal than とか, however, they both can be found together in the same sentence, especially in modern Japanese. Since や implies that not everything is listed and can only be used once in a sentence, any nouns listed after や can be accompanied by とか or など. Cheers!

1 Like