てみる - Grammar Discussion

to try to

Structure

• Verb[] + み る

View on Bunpro

Hi there. In the ‘Structure Legend’ it says ichidan verbs are ‘V(る1)’ in the grammar breakdown, but I haven’t seen that anywhere. Is that something that crops up in later grammar points?
I ask because I can’t see what みる is from this grammar point’s information.

1 Like

Hey :smiley:

V(る1) symbol is used in grammar points where various conjugations of verbs are introduced.
Like てform, potential form.

みる in verb[て] + みるitself conjugates exactly like verb 見る which is ichidan verb.

If you have more questions feel free to ask :+1:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Does てみると mean something else? I saw it in 着いてみると and it seems to mean “As soon as I arrived” instead of “try to arrive” or something like it.

Also, is てみたら similar to てみると?

1 Like

@sakkara

Hey, long time no see!

This is a specific case of AとB sentence pattern, where と means “when”, “as soon as” or “then”, and B is something that you notice/happens at the moment A and is beyond your control. Basically “When I did A/When A emerged(if not intentional), B happened.” The B is generally in the past tense. Notice that A part is always in non-past (even if it refers to past!).

In this case, it’s more about てみる core meaning - that some action actually happens (when it is non-intentional) or someone makes it happen after trying it (when it is intended, this is what we generally mean by てみる). (This is best visible in difference between てみた and ようがした where the first one has nuance of having intention of doing something and carrying it out successfully and the second one means having intention to do something but not attempting it at all, or failing an attempt.)

So in other words AてみるとB means:
When A is intentional: When I tried A, B happened.
When A is not-intentional: When A came about, B happened.

So even if we don’t use Aてみると, the meaning would still be the same, because of と itself, but with less emphasis on the A actually being the case.

てみたら is identical in meaning though more casual, except Aてみたらどうですか pattern (what about trying doing A?)

That is basically it, I hope it helps
Cheers!

1 Like

There is a Japanese Ammo video for this grammar point. She also covers ようとする.

Hi! what are the rules for using てみた? The information page only talks about てみる but there is an example using てみたい. Or are they interchangeable?

The example provided is:
あの赤い靴を履いてみたい

Thank you!!

@johnalindogan As far as I understand it, たい is a separate grammar point that means “want to do” so it turns てみる (to try) into てみたい (want to try)

1 Like

Hi, I hope this is the place to ask for translation checks. Please let me know if it isn’t

If I wanted to say “I want to try and learn how to play the ukulele again.” would it be 「もう一回ウクレレを弾くことのが習って見たいです。」?

Hi, and welcome!

This should be 弾くことを or 弾くのを

~てみる doesn’t use this kanji. It’s just hiragana.

Other than that, I’m pretty sure it looks OK.

Thanks! It was very helpful. :smiley:

1 Like

There’s an explanation for this grammar point in A Dictionary Of Basic Japanese Grammar on page 246.