やすい - Grammar Discussion

easy to, likely to

Structure

• Verb[stem] + やすい

View on Bunpro

1 Like

I might be misunderstanding something here. But is it not the い-stem of the words and not the stem form?

1 Like

@Candygaming The stem form of verbs refers to what is left of a verb after you conjugate to the ます-form and then remove ます. E.g.: 食べます , 会います , 行きます , 飲みます , 始めます , etc. やすい attaches to this stem to form this grammar point. As you can see, not all stem forms end in an い sound. Cheers!

2 Likes

“This fish is easy to eat.”
What does this mean? Does it mean it’s easy to eat because the flavor is palatable? Or it’s easy to eat because it’s not messy? Or it’s easy for old people to eat because it’s soft? Or can it mean all these things?

1 Like

At first glance, I think of a fish with little to no bones that you have to sift through before eating every bite or so. Probably not related to flavor, at least IMO.

3 Likes

I think it could go both ways, it’s subject to interpretation due to not having the context.

2 Likes

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to ask this, since I was directed here when I tried to submit a question regarding something in my reviews.

Why does the hint display “Past”?

2 Likes