てくれる - Grammar Discussion

Do something for someone (usually you)

Structure

• Verb[] + くれる

View on Bunpro

1 Like

Why is there blue? I’ve never seen that before.

1 Like

Its a link directed to a grammar point that has appeared before it’s lesson.
To help avoid confusion if you are following the Bunpro lessons order.

I believe its only a temporary fix, until new sentences are created or changed,
to only include grammar that has been introduced. ^_^!

1 Like

That’s… bizarre. Especially since I already know that grammar point.

2 Likes

Ikr, it showed up for me before and after I got to that lesson. I guess it doesn’t
do a check to see if the user has completed said lesson and hide itself.

1 Like

This is what this one says, but I hear, 「私の友達はいつも相談(を)してくれる」
I don’t know what 聞い is or what it’s doing here, and I can’t click it for furigana. :frowning:

1 Like

@Aythreuk Hey! Thank you for letting us know about this! I have updated the sentence to use the correct verb in the hint. We will get new audio recorded for this sentence soon. Cheers!

2 Likes

I have a couple of questions about the example sentences here…hopefully they’re not stupid ones!
In スーパーに行ったら、牛乳を買ってきてくれる? I can’t tell what きて is doing. Does it turn “buy some milk for me” into a sort of “buy-bring some some milk to me” hybrid?
And in サンタさん、何を持って来てくれたの? I’m not certain why the の is necessary. Is it because the sentence is grammatically something like “Santa-brought-me-thing (サンタさん…持って来てくれたの) is what (何を)” so without the の it would be something like “Santa brought me is what”?

2 Likes

@CrisH

There’s no such thing!

Let’s focus on 来る for your first question. くる always describes something that is coming towards the speaker or who the speaker is talking about. Therefore, words like 買ってくる (buy and come) and 持ってくる (hold and come) describe things that are being bought and brought and things that are being held and brought respectively towards the speaker. Changing くる to the polite command form, “きて,” makes 牛乳を買ってきて mean “(go and) buy milk and come (back).” Add くれる to make it a request and you have 牛乳を買ってきてくれる, “would you (go and) buy milk and come (back for me)?”

の is just abbreviated のです. It makes the question more inquisitive as the speaker is expecting that the listener will provide an explanation or more details about what is being asked about.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

5 Likes

Thanks for that - very helpful :slight_smile:
So, say if you were at work and called your partner to ask them to get milk for the household, presumably you wouldn’t use that then? But you might if you were at home and called them? Could you say 牛乳を買って帰ってくれるか。 Do you need a question marker for these requests? Although that does sound like an odd thing to specify, I’ll admit!

1 Like

@CrisH

That’s right! Since your partner is not coming towards you, but towards home.

This is OK. However, it is better to omit か or use the polite ますか at the end. Using か with the plain form (dictionary form) of the verb can sound a bit rude. Since you are talking with your partner (significant other), this would be acceptable, but still sound a bit rough/masculine. Cheers!

2 Likes

Cool, thanks. I keep meaning to try and default to the polite forms!

2 Likes

DBJG listed twice. Also, would it be possible to have these resources listed alphabetically?

2 Likes

Hey :cowboy_hat_face::+1:

The double has been removed, and resources has been listed alphabetically!

Cheers!

I noticed there is also a third resource with no link (just a checkbox)

I’m a bit confused by

サンタさん、何なにを もってきてくれた の?[持もってくる]

It says “receiver’s point of view”, but it’s not the receiver who’s asking this, right? Otherwise I’d expect the sentence to be “What did Santa bring for me?”

3 Likes

Can someone clarify the difference between もらうand くれる? As I understand it both are from the view of the receiver, both are within your UCHI group, and もらう carries an additional inflection of pleasure or gratitude.

BunPro has no readings or grammar points liked to てくれる。 Obviously I’m going to hit Tae Kim again, but the online resources I find all cover
different aspects of the elephant without describing the elephant itself, as it were.

ありがとう!

Simply, もらう means ‘to receive’ and くれる means ‘to give’.
田中さんは本をもらった - Mr. Tanaka received a book.
田中さんは本をくれた - Mr. Tanaka gave a book (to me or to my uchi)
I shared a video a long time ago that makes this grammar point super easy to understand. Have a look here.

2 Likes

In the above example, why shouldn’t the か particle be added, since this is a question?

And to add, why does the following example require the か particle?

Or does this have to do with politeness levels? Casual sentences don’t require か while polite do?

The sentence ending particle か works like a question mark. So generally you wouldn’t have a か and a question mark in the same sentence, you would simply have a 。.
公園に行きますか。
公園に行く?
So the presence of a question mark in the example sentence indicates whether you should have か.