たらいい・といい - Grammar Discussion

English translation:
it would be nice if, should, I hope

Structure:
Verb[た]・ら + いい
Verb + と・いい

View on Bunpro

According to the stack exchange reading, I thought ~ればいい and ~たらいい were interchangeable (except for formality). Is this not the case in this review question ?

1 Like

It should be accepted. Fixing it now. :+1:

This grammar point accepts these two forms as possible answers as well:
https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/195
https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/196

But neither of the three are listed under each other’s “Related” grammar section.

1 Like

Hey! Because it’s advice for others, I tried to use たほうがいい but my answer was rejected.

May I ask why? Is there something about the usage of ほうがいい that I’m unaware of? I tried to ask others about it but they told me that

たら isn’t appropriate here imo

It should be しゃべると or しゃべるのが

https://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/393/differences-among-たら-なら-んだったら-えば-etc

So may I ask about it? Thank you so much!

1 Like

Hey :grinning:

たほうがいい sounds natural in this example, but it is a bit more forceful. :+1:

It is now accepted,
Cheers!

Very short explanation:
Aばよかった、means if I did A, it would have been good. It is used when you regret something, and you describe the hypothetical alternative which you should have chosen back then.
Something like, I should have bought a bitcoin.(I regret it, because I would be rich now).

ばいい/たらいい
Is used to give the most emphatic advice. It is often used when asking for advice as どうすればいい?
(what is a good thing to do?)

Sentence:
合格したいのなら勉強すればいい。

たらどう(たらどうですか)
Is also used when giving advice or more like a suggestion, but it might be interpreted as rude(reproach!) because it means “what if you did…”. So use this one if someone actually asked you for an advice. Notice that unlike ばいい you are not actually saying that doing something is good. So it is more roundabout way to suggest something, you can say it is close to “try doing it, it might be fine(but I don’t really know!”.
この洋服をかってみたらどう

You can achieve similar effect of suggestion by using ば、なら、たら alone(with question tag). (very weak suggestion)
A:彼女は許してくれるかな?
B:キスしてあげるなら。。。

ほうがいい
Is the tricky one, because you should use past tense for affirmative sentences, and non-past negative for negative sentences. (actually, you CAN use non-past, it will be weaker advice, but it is not that common)
In addition, it is much stronger suggestion that other options, it is like saying you better do something(or it might end badly for you!).
So you can use it when your friend has unbalanced died, and you want to tell him, you better eat some veggies! (or something bad might happen to you, like hospitalization)

If you want to be more polite, you can use と思う、でしょうか、のではないでしょうか etc
たらどうですか。
たらどうでしょうか。
ばいいと思います。
ばいいのではないでしょうか。etc

1 Like

I just noticed Tobira presents this grammar point as 〜たらいいのに, emphasising the fact it expresses a (usually) counterfactual wish. Does it matter much that this grammar point leaves out のに?

Are たらいい and といい always interchangeable? I’m not finding anything in the readings that says when to use one versus the other.

1 Like

I’m interested in knowing this as well. Tried to use たらいい but got prompted for といい

Do you remember the specific example sentence? These are usually interchangeable, but Bunpro might’ve included some particles (e.g. が、な、ね) in the sentence that lean it toward ~といい and the sense of hoping or wishing for a given outcome. That’s the only nuance that comes to mind.

1 Like

It’s this one.

OK, yeah, this is one of those patterns that can tend toward ~といい due to the way と expresses natural consequence, in a way that だら doesn’t. The たらいい・といい grammar point doesn’t discuss this, but the といい one does. Thing is, that entry even says といい tends more strongly toward, “I hope,” or, “I wish.” They’ve translated it, “It would be nice if … wouldn’t it?” here. It does seem like something is slightly out of sync. I think a better translation would probably be, “I hope the weather tomorrow and the day after will be clear.” That’s based on the information provided in the といい grammar point.

If you encounter this sentence again, I would definitely report it, and point back to this discussion here. Sometimes things slip through the cracks like this. Or maybe one of the staff can point out why this sentence is an exception.

2 Likes

Hey! This is definitely weird. I’ll bring it up to discussion with the content team. Thank you for pointing it out!

1 Like