によって・による - Grammar Discussion

English translation:
by means of, according to, depending on

Structure
Noun + によって
Noun + による

View on Bunpro

Got this URL instead of a hint when I was off, just thought you should know!

1 Like

Thanks for notifying us! :grinning:

Fixed :+1:

1 Like

Reported this as well, but just wanted to show the issue here. This grammar point just really doesn’t like me I guess :joy:

1 Like

Should be fixed now :+1:

When によって is used as “through” and the like is it any different from using で? 例えば、

火災によって家はなくなってしまいました。

火災で家はなくなってしまいました。

My guess based on the reading is the によって sentences sounds like a natural disaster or accident while the で sounds more like a crime occurred.

So if によって makes the means more passive; then in case like where I was part of a discussion using 話し合いによって sort of separates me from the decision whereas using 話し合いで would sound like I was taking more responsibility?

Same question here

Also, there is a special case given in the legend, but it is not explained.
What does it do?

Noun + によって + 違う。

1 Like

@Pep95 Regarding the second question, that’s its own grammar point on BunPro, and means “depends on”:

https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/619

(I kind of read it as “… depending on X, it differs” (違う means “to differ”) which seems Japanese-y in that its a bit of a roundabout, softened way of saying things :))

As for the first one, where you’ve linked my post, here’s an interesting reply from that thread:

Though I’d love to hear a more “definite” answer for that, too :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like

@Ambo100 Thank you for the share! I have added this video to the links under Readings. Cheers!

I believe Shin Kanzen Master presents this grammar point as three distinct usages:

I wonder if it might be worth splitting it up? Then we would get more practice with each individual usage.

in 中級へ行こう I

there is another usage for this grammar point which is not mentioned in Bunpro. Am I mistaken or It will be added in future ? Because I got worried if there is any other exclusion like this.

1 Like

Rather than an exclusion or new use, it’s really just a use of the grammar point.

“It was made by the means of” becomes the basic meaning!

1 Like