からこそ - Grammar Discussion

English translation:
emphasized because
precisely because

Structure
Verb + からこそ
Noun + だ + からこそ

Explanation:
Used to emphasize a foremost reason/cause of something.

View on Bunpro

1 Like

This question is not actually regarding からこそ, but regarding one of the example sentences under からこそ, namely this one:

Specifically, the bold part which, as far as I can tell, is a conjugation of やって来る. I have not seen such a conjugation before, which I assume is from:

くる → これる → これた

From Jisho, the conjugations of くる have ‘potential’ as こられる, which is also the same as for ‘passive’. But nothing for これる.

Is this a special conjugation of くる? A colloquial short-form of こられる? A completely different word?

Most importantly, is it covered in BunPro? And if so, which grammar point? I did a search, but couldn’t find anything that seemed related. The closest thing I found was for ~てくる, but that doesn’t mention this kind of conjugation.

[Edited to add:]

Ah, perhaps it is ラ抜き on こられる, as briefly mentioned in:
Verb[れる・られる] - Japanese Grammar Explained | Bunpro and
Verb[potential] - Japanese Grammar Explained | Bunpro

However, in the Verb[passive] page, while it mentions “ら may be removed - る-Verbs and くる, when the meaning is 可能 ‘potential’,”:

1. it only gives one example, which is not くる, so I hadn’t seen it in that form yet,
  2. this is the [passive] grammar point, so it would be unnatural for examples of the [potential] grammar to be focused on here.

Also, on the Verb[potential] page,

1. It only cautions us that it is “not technically correct Japanese, and may cause confusion in cases where ら is required (with る-Verbs and くる, when られる is expressing ‘passivity’, ‘respect’, or ‘spontaneous occurrence’)”
  2. neither example is of くる, so again I hadn’t seen it in that form,
  3. even in the Details > Structure panel, while it lists “Exceptions: する → できる”, it does not mention the ‘irregular’ conjugation for くる at all, so we are not exposed to either こられる or これる at all on this grammar point.
  4. None of the example sentences (that I could see) used くる as an example, so we are not exposed to it in the reviews at all, either.

Note: If this comment is misplaced on this からこそ form post, then please feel free to move it to a more appropriate place – perhaps the Verb[potential]'s forum post.