だんだん - Grammar Discussion

gradually
little by little
step by step

Structure

• だんだん + (と) + Phrase

View on Bunpro

1 Like

Hello, I’m just learning this new grammar but I don’t understand why sometime you have to add the と and sometime not. Is there a rule ?

3 Likes

Hey :grin:

だんだん is an onomatopoeia, basically a word created to imitate a sound. と is our favorite quotation particle.
Basically, it’s like quoted sound.

Adverbs like that are very common in Japanese, and we call them と adverbs.
Usually, if the sound is repeated, like in だんだん case, you can skip と if you want.
If the sound appears only once (it is not duplicated) then you have to use と.

That’s basically it (though very simplified).
I hope it helps, cheers

5 Likes

Oooh I didn’t thought it was the quotation と does it also mean you can drop it in casual speech but have to use it in formal or written cases ?

Thank you !

2 Likes

Theoretically, だんだんと would be more correct, but dropping と is extremely common, even in writing.

In addition to that, 徐々に(じょじょに)is a word that fits writing a bit more.

1 Like

In this example sentence there are a three points I am unsure about.

友達が話している:「だんだんあのやつの事が嫌いなってきていて、今は避けるようにしている。」
Chat between friends: “I gradually came to dislike that guy, and now I do my best to avoid him.”

My interpretation of these three…

• あのやつの事
    That guy’s… (actions?; events?, I am unsure what this is meant to convey)

• 嫌いなってきていて
    Have come to dislike(ing?) (does the いる here signify a continuing state?)

• 避けるようにしてる。
    Doing things similar to avoiding? (I… I… can’t even… help me!)

I am a little shaky on what these parts are trying to convey here. Any insight would be oh so much appreciated! (´・ω・`)

1 Like

Very good questions, I will do my best to answer them :+1:

someone/something + のこと means more or less “about”/“things about” someone/something, it is very common phrasing, though in most cases literal translation doesn’t work well. You can hear it very often in anime with 好き、like in 「彼のこと、大好き」
I love (things about) him very much.

This is “to do one’s best so that/to make sure/to try to” ようにする.
Translated here as “I do my best to avoid him”.

嫌いなってきて いて
Have come to dislike( ing? ) (does the いる here signify a continuing state?)

This is a super hard question, to be honest, it would still work with なってきて by itself and feel as natural, since it already means has been -ing with だんだん. Basically, in this case, it should imply ongoing action.

I hope it helps, cheers!

4 Likes

Like you wouldn’t believe! Thank you, thank you so much!

1 Like

インタビューした学生:「折り紙は初めは難しくてできないと思ったけど、だんだん慣れてくる折れるようになりました。」
Interviewed student: “Speaking of origami, at first I thought it was hard and I wouldn’t be able to do it, but I gradually got accustomed and reached a point where I could do it.”

What is the と after 慣れてくる expressing in this statement?

@deltacat3 This と is the conditional, “if・when” と from this lesson. It would probably be better to think of it as “once” in this sentence to make the phrase “once I got accustomed,” but it sounds a bit strange to say “once I gradually got accustomed” in English. I hope this helps!

1 Like