to be deemed
be regarded as
be accepted as

Structure

• Verb + とされている
  • いAdj + とされている
  • なAdj + (だ) + とされている
  • Noun + (だ) + とされている

[Used to express that something is thought to be true by a large number of people; widely accepted]

View on Bunpro

What does the 硬 mean on this Grammar Point? I’m curious ^^

2 Likes

Hey :blush:

It comes from 硬い. It means that grammar is generally used in formal writing/speech.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Perhaps it would be helpful to have a explanation for those who hover over or click on that so people know.

1 Like

Is removal of the “い” an option? As in conversationally it becomes
「とされてる」

or is it never done?

1 Like

Yeah totally fine! However this makes it a bit more casual and when I talk to my friends they generally think of とされている as fairly formal.

The hints to distinguish between this grammar point and ~と考えられている really aren’t clear.

4 Likes

@ggw1776 Hey :blush:

I am working on it :+1:
Any suggestions?

1 Like

Sorry for the slow response! For this sentence in particular, it seems like the translation is looking for とされている, but it’s ~と考えられている. I think the translated sentence should read “The painting is thought to be the oldest ever painted by man”

「この絵画かいがはその技法ぎほう類似るいじによりレンブラントのさくとされている。」
“This painting is (widely) considered to be work of Rembrandt due to the similarity in technique.”

Can I ask where the “due to” part comes from here? I thought perhaps it was the により, but there doesn’t seem to be any such grammar point on the site.

1 Like

That’s exactly right!

I think it might be a bit harder to see because its actually two points in tandem: による and the formal conjuctive. I recommend reading the writeups for each of these, I’m sure it’ll come clear after reading them!

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I’ve had a go at responding in Japanese :sweat_smile:
ありがとう。連用形を学んだことがなくて最近たくさん勉強したときに文法の説明がないと思っています。それから説明を読んでいることがあります。

Thanks - I hadn’t come to the formal conjunctive, and the last time I did a lot of studying, I don’t think the grammar point (how would you translate ‘point’ here?) explanations were there. I’ve been reading the explanations since then.

The explanations have been really helpful for getting a feel for the points before you come across them. This bit’s in English because I can’t think of a word for ‘helpful’!

1 Like

役に立てる説明と言っていいかな? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

その言葉を知ている!けど、また勉強すべきだと思っている。。

1 Like

頑張り続ける限り、わからないことはない。

1 Like

This hint sounds strange. Maybe:

• It is going off the assumption that (A) is true.
  • It assumes (A) is true.
  • (Or just remove that line – the hint works without it – “(A) is true” doesn’t trigger the memory of any grammar point.)

1 Like

私もそのためにここにきました!その点は文法点の説明に含みありません。その結果、思い出すとは手伝いません。私の日本語を是正してください!

また、例の一つは「WP40」を口にする。しかし、「WP40」とは煙の手榴弾だって「WD40」とは石油に基づいた潤滑剤です!

Summary

I came here to mention this! It’s not mentioned in the details for the grammar point. As a result, it doesn’t help you remember.
Also, one of the examples mentions WP40, but WP40 is a smoke grenade while WD40 is an oil-based lubricant!

Huh. 11 months later and still there.