というのは - Grammar Discussion

English translation:
~ known as ~ is
~ means ~

Structure
Phrase + というのは + Reason/Definition

View on Bunpro

I keep tripping on this grammar point because I consistently enter ということは …

And now I’m wondering. Does this actually have the same meaning? If so, I presume the slight nuance of “factual vs. emotional” that we see with こと vs. の is also in there?

Would it be possible for Bunpro to clarify this (with a hint) and/or to catch the inputting of the wrong one? That’d be super-helpful for me :wink:

1 Like

Hey :grinning:

Maybe this will help a bit :grinning:

2 Likes

I keep confusing というのは and という. Is there an easy way to work out which one to use? I thought it would be obvious because presumably when using the former it is the subject, but these examples sentences are similar:
人生 というのは 儚 いものだな。
( The thing known as ) Life is such a fleeting thing, isn’t it?

「機会があれば会いましょう」 という 言い方は大抵社交辞令だ。
The words ( known as ) “Let’s meet each other again, if we have a chance” is mostly just a courteous saying.

いう is a verb, so という modifies nouns like in …という言い方は… in the second sentence, where the meaning ends up being an “let’s meet again if we get the chance” kind of 言い方.

というのは is the same thing but except a normal noun, there’s の as a stand-in. The examples you posted have the exact same structure: descriptionというthingはcomment on that thing. In one case thing is 言い方 and in the other it’s の.

という modifies a following noun, but that alone isn’t enough to differentiate because the comment after というのは could also start with a noun. There also are some other grammar points that look similar like ということ. But the questions that want というのは tend to say “the thing known as” etc. When it says that even the “thing” part is missing, you know you still need to write something that represents “thing”, which is what the の does.

2 Likes

Following on from @nekoyama’s explanation, here’s how the use of both will affect a sentence.

こめというのは日本の主食物。
(The thing called) Rice is the staple food of Japan
In this sentence, the subject is The thing called Rice.

こめという日本の主食物(とても美味しい。)
Rice, the staple food of Japan, (is very tasty.)
In this sentence, the subject is Rice, the staple food of Japan.

3 Likes

I am interested in differentiating the casual use of this grammar point って from the casual use of は (also being って), how do I tell them apart?

1 Like