English translation:
so much…that
too…

Structure:
あまりに / あまりにも + Verb
あまりに / あまりにも + Adj
あまり の + Noun

View on Bunpro

Hi. The readings for this grammar point provide an explanation for an emphasis role of も but on these the following sentences, the も particle is compulsory (removing it sounds really unnatural) :

• その言い訳はあまりに幼稚すぎる。
  • 冬の間、 あまりに高すぎて、野菜が買えない。
    Is it possible to add to the grammar point the explanation and conditions for the cases when も is not optionnal ? Thank you.
2 Likes

For sentences like this, what does あまりに add that すぎて doesn’t take care of? Would it be unnatural to omit あまりに?

そのケーキは あまりに 大きすぎて、食べられない。
そのケーキは 大きすぎて、食べられない。

@FredKore あまりに just further emphasizes the size of the cake. Think “way too big” instead of just “too big.”

Both the inclusion and exclusion of あまりに are grammatically sound in this situation.

Cheers!

1 Like

I don’t understand why there is a も in this example sentence:

あまりに丁寧な言葉遣いというの、違和感がある。
(I get a weird feeling when I speak too formally.)

It seems as if it meant “even if”, so I also don’t understand where the “when” in the translation comes from. Could someone please explain? Thank you!

1 Like

@Haruka

Hey, and long time no see :partying_face:

That’s right, it might mean both “also” or “even”, where the even meaning is just an extension of “also”. Generally, that happens with negative clauses though, the even.

The translation will be replaced with " Also using phrases that are too polite feels awkward.".

But why there is “when” in this sentence?
It comes from this interpretation of の (as you know, の can refer to various other nouns):

あまりに丁寧な言葉遣いという「時」も、違和感がある。

By the way,
there is another use of というのも、 when it is followed by a clause ending with “から”, “ため” or “のだ”.

In that case, it means the same thing as なぜなら, emphasizing the cause. In that case, というのも refers to the previous sentence, or whatever precedes it.
変更が必要だ。というのも、また会社が赤字になったからだ。
The change is needed. It is because the company went into the red (deficit) again.

I hope it helps,
Cheers!

2 Likes

Thank you, @mrnoone! I understand it better now. Also thanks for explaining the other use of というのも, it would have completely confused me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Of these rules, which one applies in the following sentence?
その言い訳はあまりにも幼稚すぎる。

My dictionary lists 幼稚 as a noun so shouldn’t the last rule apply? Or is -すぎる acting as -する here or something?