未だに いまだに - Grammar Discussion

still
not yet
even now

Structure

• 未だに + … + Verb[る]
  • 未だに + … + Verb[ない]

[Used to express that something continues now, as it was before. Also used when something that is expected has not happened]

[Often has a negative nuance. 未だに carries more emphasis and is considered more formal than まだ]

View on Bunpro

Was going to use the Report feature to make this suggestion, but then thought it might be helpful to get some community feedback on it, too, so posting it here instead. :slight_smile:

In the description, it says “As 未だに will be used adverbially, it will mostly appear at the beginning of sentences.” However, what follows this are several examples, none of which actually have 未だに at the start of any sentences.

I think perhaps it could be rephrased to something like, “it will mostly appear at the beginning of sentences [or phrases].” But I’m not sure what the analog of a ‘phrase’ is in Japanese, so not sure if this is the best way to say it.

Also, does anybody have any tips/ideas/pointers on how to identify a ‘phrase’ or whatever its equivalent would be in Japanese? Was my suggestion of the word ‘phrase’ for 未だに accurate here, or is there some other way of describing what 未だに generally appears at the beginning of? Just curious! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A clause, maybe?