left in a state

Structure:
Verb[ ] + まま
Verb[ ない ] + まま
いAdj + まま
Noun・の + まま
なAdj・な + まま

View on Bunpro

There’s a bunch of related grammar that shows up in conversation that combines まま with other particles words, any plans of these to be added in future?

1 Like

Hey :star_struck:

We plan to include those too :+1:

In a review for this grammar point I got the sentence, コートをきたままだと少し暑いです。(I feel a little hot keeping this jacket on.)

What is the role of だと there? Is it a と conditional, making a literal translation closer to “If I keep this coat on, I will feel a little hot”?

1 Like

@Eironeous That is exactly right! Do you think a more literal translation would better suit this sentence to prevent any further confusion? Cheers!

1 Like

I personally don’t feel like it’s necessary, especially if the current translation carries over the intended meaning better. The literal translation in English makes the intended meaning sound a little more like a たら conditional, doesn’t it? What tripped me up was actually not seeing a まま + だと combination before, and the three grammar sources I used (Tae Kim, Maggie’s explanation and even Dictionary of Japanese Grammar) did not give a まま + だと example. And of course, since asking this question I’ve seen it pop up elsewhere, too.

If I voted for any change, it’d be to maybe add a note regarding what it is commonly combined with, such as で, に and だと. As in, add it as a comment in orange letters below, where it currently says [The state of something remains unchanged]. Again though, I didn’t think it too confusing, and when studying grammar such questions are inevitable anyway.

Thanks for the response!

1 Like

I always confuse this with てある :sweat:
do we use まま when there is already a sentence ending verb or are there more differences?

4 Likes

One basic difference I can think of is that while both てある and まま mean that something was left in that state, the “something that must be left alone/undisturbed” nuance is unique to まま.

てある is just stating the fact.

Hope this helps!