while
in regard to

Structure:
Noun + に対して / に対する
Verb/Adjective・の + に対して / に対する

Explanation:
[toward a certain point・in contrast to another point]

View on Bunpro

It looks like this grammar point now covers both “towards” / “in regard to” and “in contrast to”, which have different conjugation rules. I think it would be best to split these into two separate grammar points.

6 Likes

Hey :grinning:
This is a good idea, I am a supporter or splitting grammar points that express few concepts, since the retention is better (and there are more examples :joy:).

:+1:

4 Likes

I’ll third the vote to split these points. Even if they’re just one after the other.

1 Like

This video by Yumi Sensei says that the difference described in the grammar point isn’t about meaning but about where you attach it to a separate sentence or not:

So maybe this point should be redesigned altogether.

1 Like

It would be good to detect when ぎゃくに would also be a correct answer.

Agreed that this should be split

1 Like

Fifthed!

1 Like

…and so I came here to share my ideas, but I see this thread is already just full of people demanding for this grammar point to be split for already 2 years.

Well, let me just say yes, it should be split the same way as 〜ている has it’s own 3 separate grammar points, despite conjugation rules are the same everywhere. Not only because “regarding/towards” and “in contrast to” are actually totally different meanings. Mostly I’d like to see it split because we drastically lack of examples for “in contrast” meaning: just 2 sentences vs. 10 examples of “regarding”. Still, “in contrast” meaning is quite valuable and frequent, so would be great to emphasize it more.

4 Likes

Sorry for leaving this out on the cold!

I’ve officially shared the proposition of a split with the Content Team. I agree this has a lot of overlap with the problem we used to have with 〜ている.

Thank you for pointing it out!

1 Like

Ha, came here to say the same thing as everyone else. How are things coming along, @Daru?

1 Like

Another check in what the status quo here is :slight_smile:

Hi!
I also agree with that some years after. Since it is still not split.
Also it would be great to write a little note about the difference between に比べて and のに対して, since it’s 2 different grammar points for comparaison.

I think I haven’t quite understood this grammar point (and related ones as a consequence…). Can someone explain why the answer here is に対して and not に対する? Thank you in advance! 🙇‍♂️