• A + A[ない] + を問わず + Phrase
  • Phrase + Noun +・/、/と/や + Noun2 + を問わない
  • Phrase + AかBか+ を問わない
  • Phrase + C + C[antonym] + を問わない
  • Phrase + A + かどうか/か否か+ を問わない
  • Phrase + A + A[ない] + を問わない
  • A・B = (Noun、 なAdj、 いAdj、Verb)
  • C = (いAdj、なAdj)

[Literal translation: ‘without asking (about)’・Often used in announcements, manuals, etc.]
[を can be replaced with は when expressing contrast or for emphasis]

View on Bunpro

Can this:

[を can be replaced with は when expressing contrast or for emphasis]

be added to the top level structure at some place.

This may be slightly off-topic, but one of the example sentences for this grammar item is: " とりあえず説明は聞いてもらいたい", and the translation is “I would like you to listen to my explanation.”

Is this an error? Or does “聞いてもらいたい” imply you want someone else to do the listening, as opposed to being the person who wants to listen?

It is that particular grammar:
てもらう

Correct, I knew it was that grammar but I guess I didn’t know the nuance of “to get someone to do”. In that way it makes sense. I was thinking of it more as “I would like to hear (receive) the explanation”, not “I would like YOU to listen to the explanation”.

Hey @he77kat !

The translation for this sentence is correct!

A more literal translation for this sentence would be ’ Whether or not you sign a contract, for the time being, I would like you to do the listening while I explain it to you.’

For the translation ‘I would like to hear the explanation’ to work, the Japanese sentence would have to be tweaked to something like 説明をしてもらいたい or 説明をしてほしい.

I hope this clears it up!

1 Like