にわたって・に渡って - Grammar Discussion

across
throughout
extends
over (a period of time or range)

Structure

• Noun + にわたって / にわたり
  • Noun + にわたる / にわたった + Noun

[Used to express a range within which something took place. Used in formal writing and formal speech. Cannot be used if the span is not specified precisely (to morning, to evening, etc.)]

View on Bunpro

I just encountered this sentence:

40分にわたる校長先生の話が退屈だった

I’m quite confused however because にわたった is rejected by Bunpro for some reason. As far as I can tell in the structure explanation on Bunpro, it should be valid. Then again, going to the reading tab there is a link to JGram which doesn’t list にわたった at all. Is there an error here or is there something that I’m missing?

1 Like

Hey, and long time no see :partying_face:

You are right! にわった is also a correct answer and it has been added!
By the way, に続いた also fits :+1:

Also, I am sorry for extremely slow answer :sob::bowing_man:

2 Likes

Just wanted to make sure I understand this right. And in case there’s anyone else that got confused by this sentence too :eyes:

According to the Structure box I thought it was supposed to be にわたって because there’s ので right afterwards (which I assume is not a Noun, but a particle). But the reason にわたる is correct is because the word 説明 in the second part of the sentence is the Noun that is being described.

Was just very confused since this was the only example sentence with this exact structure, ie. Noun is not immediately after にわたる. After looking at the English meaning and consulting a friend, it became clear to me why it should be にわたる and not にわたって :laughing: Or at least I hope that’s the reason why it has to be にわたる in this sentence :eyes: :sweat_drops:

@Redglare Hey! This sentence is not necessarily about how にわって fits in the sentence, but how ので fits. ので always follows a verb in plain (ない・る・た) or ます (ません・ます・ました ) form. ので cannot be attached to a verb in て-form. Cheers!

1 Like

I totally forgot about “final” form before ので. Thank you for clearing that up! ^u^/

1 Like

Can you guys believe it, I got this exact sentence wrong again… :joy: smh

This sentence is going to haunt me forever, ghost review or not.

1 Like