English translation:
In accordance with
matching
fitting・suitable for・adjusting/ tuning to

Structure:
Noun + に合わせて
Noun1 + に合った + Noun2

View on Bunpro

Hello, I have a question to this topic I found a question where I dont understand the answer the pattern is noun に会った noun … I my sentence I have 家具 ( which should be a noun ) and カーテン ( which should be also a noun ) so in between those two it should be に会った but it is not getting accepted and I get asked to use another form に合わせて which is accepted. But I dont understand why. Would be lovely if someone could explain it to me

Bump

1 Like

Hey and sorry for late answer :bowing_man:

Both answers fit! What is more, にあった fits the translation more.

The difference is a small nuance:

今の家具にあわせてカーテンを選ぶ。
To choose curtain in accordance with current furniture (in a way that agrees with the current curtains). Modifying the verb, adverbial.

今の家具にあったカーテンを選ぶ。
To choose a curtain that is suitable for current furniture. Modifying the noun.

PS
Changed translation so that it fits にあわせて more.

2 Likes

How do に合った and に似合った differ?

に似合う specifically holds a nuance of looking good with something.

その洋服は似合うよ! those clothes look good (on you)

@ljoekelsoey
Yeah, the fact it is often used with clothes was what was throwing me off when I saw the sentence:

「私に合った服を選んで」

So do think this would be more literally “clothes that fit (i.e. size)” or would this still kind of have the same nuance as “clothes that look good on me”?

Without any context, and given you’re talking about clothes and people, it could be either really. To extrapolate a little, if it were something like 私のシャッツに合ったズボンを選んで, this generally means the trousers and the top go together, but doesn’t suggest they look good on you as such.

I can buy a great pair of leather trousers that fit perfectly and go with a nice white shirt, I certainly can’t pull them off though (however tempted I am to try.)

俺の白いシャッツに合わせて, レザーズボンを買ったんだけど、マジで似合わない

2 Likes

According to the answer to a question related to this grammar point there are more ways to express the same thing 🆚【合う】 と 【合わせる】 はどう違いますか? | HiNative

Can に合う also be used to express the same meaning? Is there a nuance difference? Maybe it should also be mentioned in this grammar point?

Q: 合う と 合わせる はどう違いますか?説明が難しい場合は、例文を教えて下さい。

A:
天気に合う服を着ます、は正しいです。自然です。
天気に合わせる服を着ます。も正しいですが、少し不自然です。
天気に合わせた服を着ます。
天気に合った服を着ます。ともいいます。
意味はどれも同じです。

Q: ありがとうございます!!ほとんど同じですね。それで、天気に合う服を着ますと天気に合った服を着ますといって、何が違いますか?

A: はい、同じと考えて良いです。

It also mentions に合わせた, but I didn’t get from the answer whether that form is natural, there is no comment next to that line.

Hey there @bokudake !

The main difference between 合う and 合わせるis that 合う is intransitive and 合わせる is transitive. Since one is transitive and the other is intransitive they have a slightly different nuance. Since transitive verbs are actions taken by another active thing and intransitive verbs are verbs that occur without an instigator, 天気に合う服 sounds a little unnatural since the speaker picked an article of clothing that was appropriate for the weather. A more natural sentence would be either ,天気に合わせて服を選ぶ, or 天気に合わせた服を着ている.

They are similar, but because of the difference in nuance, they are not used the same nor can they be used interchangeably. I hope this helps!

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the explanation. I think I’m starting to understand it better.

Had the sentence been “I have clothes appropriate for the weather.”. Would に合う have been ok? 私には天気に合う服がある? Or maybe 私には天気に合った服がある?
I don’t really understand the difference between に合う and に合った in this context, why the past from is used.

On the same note, an example sentence from this grammar item:

()( )った ()()んで。
Please choose some clothes that suit me.

Is the reason why here the intransitive form is used because the clothes aren’t picked yet? Would the speaker later say, after his clothes have been picked: 今 ()( )わせた服を着ている?