むしろ - Grammar Discussion

English translation:
rather・instead・over

Structure:
むしろ + Preffered choice

View on Bunpro

I’m probably just being super dumb with this, but I’m having a bit of trouble with some of the example sentences:

友人にするなら、賑やかな人よりむしろ無口なくらいの人がいい。

The bolded part specifically. I can follow the sentence up to that part, but I’m not sure how なくらい is being formed. I’m guessing it’s some formation of ない, but none of the くらいs I’m familiar with fit the situation.

一緒に悪口を言うより、むしろ悪口を言われる方がいい。

I’m also curious what the 一緒に is doing here, given that the English translation given is:
“Instead of talking smack, you should be getting smack talked.”

And finally,

この問題は、力よりむしろ頭を使わないと解決しません

I’m wondering what the double negative is doing here; I would have expected 使う to be affirmative or in dictionary form.

Sorry for all the non-むしろ related questions…

1 Like

無口 is a ‘na’ adjective. If i had to guess, I think this is the noun くらい (位) for ranking or standing (in this case, ‘kind/grade’ of person)

I think you are right on the second one, that sounds weird! I remember thinking the same thing when I came across it.

I believe this is the ないと grammar point which is not in BP…yet. Looks like translation magic to avoid double negative bad English. Something like “if you don’t use you head, you won’t solve it” I think

http://maggiesensei.com/2013/10/30/〜と-〜ないと-to-naito conditional/

4 Likes

Of course! That makes so much more sense, haha. I didn’t even think to check to see if 無口 could act as a な-adj.

Ah, excellent. I’ll check on Maggie sensei’s site for the deets, thanks. And your guess makes a lot of sense, once I read it that way.

3 Likes

On the last example text of the grammer point, is the double より intended?

“俺はMMOよりよりむしろシングルプレイヤーのゲームの方が好きだ”

Apologies if this is the incorrect place to ask.