considering
keeping in mind
taking into account
therefore

Structure

• Noun + を踏まえ ( )/ を踏まえた上で
  • Noun1 + を踏まえた / を踏まえての + Noun2

:warning: When modifying a noun, を踏まえた is more common

[Aを踏まえてB is a formal expression meaning that B will be done/is decided based on A or while keeping A in mind]

[Often used with それ、これら、これらのこと、以上、以上のこと which refer to the facts mentioned earlier on and from which the judgment/conclusion is made]

[反省、経験、現状、意見、結果 are also common]

View on Bunpro

Why doesn’t this work in this phrase ?

Hey there @megatron0000 !

The reason をもとにして does not work here is because of the difference in nuance. をもとにして has a strong nuance of ‘based on’. Due to this the translation would change to something more like, ‘Based on the fact that this event has a lot of problems, we plan to proceed as planned’, and has the nuance of them making a decision based on the fact that the even has many problems. However, because を踏まえて has the nuance of ‘firmly planting your foot’, it is used in situations like this when you want to use something as a basis for judgement (keeping in mind). For example in this example, the speaker is thinking of proceeding while keeping the problems in mind.

I hope that clears it up!

I don’t understand how to know when to use を踏まえて vs を踏まえた. The explanation says:

But then I don’t understand why this examples isn’t を踏まえた:

It depends on what you want to say is based on 以上のこと. If it’s 営業時間の延長 then use a form that can modify nouns like を踏まえた, if it’s 決定いたしました then use a form that doesn’t, like を踏まえて.

Thanks for the reply. However, I’m not following something…

In my head を踏まえた modifies 営業時間の延長. Literally something like, “extended business hours based on the above.” Obviously, this is wrong since that answer isn’t accepted, but I’m not sure why…