もっとも 尤も - Grammar Discussion

English translation:
although
but
however

Structure:
Phrase1。 もっとも + Phrase2。

Explanation:
[Phrase2 often ends with が、けれども (and its variants like けど etc).

View on Bunpro

This is possible as well:

1 Like

Nice catch :laughing:
Added :+1:

1 Like

Ohhhhhh no it’s not! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Shouldn’t this be “but (B) is the whole truth”?
→ An expression that highlights (A) as being reasonably or plausibly true, but (B) is the whole truth

Hi!

I’ve been reviewing this grammar point and am a little confused. I see in jisho that もっとも can either be written as 最も or 尤も, the former being a 副詞 meaning ‘most, extremely’ whilst the latter is a 接続詞 meaning ‘but, although’, which is the subject of this grammar point.

Then, I see that the 副詞 can be written either as 尤も or 最も but the 接続詞 can only be written as 尤も. However, the grammar point states that ‘あまり見かけない漢字’ is 最も and includes a reference to JapaneseTest4You’s entry on ‘Most, Extremely’.

My question then is if both the ‘あまり見かけない漢字’ and JapaneseTest4You’s entry really belong to this grammar point.

Thank you for your consideration.

Hi!

I was wondering if this has been considered. I still feel that this grammar point mixes two different もっともs.

Thank you again for your consideration.
良い週末を

最もis marked in the grammar point as a rare kanji, but it’s apparently more common than 尤も and もっとも

I didn’t find Jisho rarity section, but it also appears before 尤も

1 Like

Hi! Thank you.

The thing is that this grammar point is about the conjunction, no about the adverb, but it still mixes both as it includes 最も as well as a reference to JapaneseTest4You ’s entry on ‘Most, Extremely’.

My suggestion is either to remove both these references or to create a Caution section to delve with this other もっとも.

2 Likes

Yes, I noticed that too. They do confuse the two, the adverb and the conjunction. There is no entry for adverb 最も that means Most, Extremely only the conjunction. If there is a grammar point on the adverb, I couldn’t find it by searching the word もっとも nor 最も.

2 Likes

Hello,

I noticed のなかで-がいちばん is listed as a synonym for もっとも, was this in error?