This is possible as well

also:

• までも
  • さえ
1 Like

Sorry for the late answer! :bowing_man:

I have added alternative answers :+1:

According to this video:

The important thing to note is that the object marked by にしても is something we understand and then the second half is something we do in spite of that.

3 Likes

Went ahead and added this to the resources.

1 Like
  1. I’m confused about にしても・としても and plain old ても. I’ve skimmed two stack exchange posts and I feel like they should be mentioned in the notes for both of the aforementioned grammar points. And, ideally, clarified, because I found the posts not particularly enlightening:
    grammar - Difference between にしても and ても - Japanese Language Stack Exchange
    grammar - What’s the difference between [v] たとしても and just the plain ても - Japanese Language Stack Exchange
    I think my rough takeaway is
  • There are some cases where ても can mean multiple things where as にしても・としても cannot. So you’d prefer the latter in those cases to avoid ambiguity. However, I don’t have a good example of this
  • If the first clause (i.e. the “even if…” part) has already happened, you should use ても. I guess meaning something like “Even though”. Confusingly, the second link the author describes it as a hypothetical… but it doesn’t seem like a hypothetical to me at all.
  1. On the example sentence 英語の勉強は楽しいにしても I had two other ideas that both felt more natural to me, but which are probably incorrect:
  • 楽しくても
  • 楽しくしても
    I think the first one is the same as clarifying (1) above. The second one is because I’m using to seeing い-adjectives convert to adverbs when they proceed verbs. It is really strange to me to see 楽しいに. Is there any intuitive way to describe why adjectives join to にしても without any… change? I don’t feel like I see (adjective + に) that much…
1 Like