をはじめ をはじめとして - Grammar Discussion

English translation:
not only…but also…
starting with

Structure:
Noun + をはじめ(として)
Noun1 + をはじめとする + Noun2

View on Bunpro

Would like to eventually see a broader set of sentences/translations. Almost all of Bunpro’s say “starting with” but this can mean things like “not to mention”, and y’all also have “not only but also” listed but never used.

I found this example sentence with the “not only but also” meaning:
先生をはじめ、生徒たちにも教えてあげてください。
Could be they snuck it in afterwards. :thinking:

Related to this, are there any cues showing which meaning をはじめ is giving to the sentence? Devoid of context, is there any way to tell? For example, the example sentence
パソコンをはじめ、その他の機器も導入するつもりだ。
feels like it could go either way, “starting with” or “not only but also”.
Or this sentence:
社長をはじめ、社員も皆同じ目標を持ってがんばっています。

I was also hoping to get a breakdown of this sentence:
漫才をはじめとする日本のいろいろな「お笑い」に興味を持ち始めた。
I think what’s tripping me is that this is the only place をはじめとする is present. What’s the とする doing there? Is it just so you can avoid a comma if just using をはじめ? On that note, is a comma always required if just using をはじめ?

2 Likes

Basically its all going to be computer-related machines! Remember that をはじめ establishes the subject and keeps building on that.

All related to 社長! As people working in the company.

Directly from the Writeup:
Due to sentences featuring をはじめ placing emphasis on (A) as a starting point, additional expressions such as として (or とする) will sometimes be paired with it. These structures function to further emphasize (A), and are similar to ‘with (A) as the starting point, (B)’.

Not really, it depends of context mostly and what spacing you want to give for emphasis. Rather than it being coupled with a comma always or never, it’s mostly about what you’re emphasizing.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I got this sentence incorrect for typing はもちろん instead of をはじめ.

Even though はもちろん is used in an identical manner, in another sentence.