Structure:
Verb + ことに
いAdj + ことに
なAdj + な + ことに

:warning: ことに only carries this meaning with words that describe ‘feelings’

Explanation:
[AことにB, A expresses emotion caused by B. It is used to emphasize the emotion.]

View on Bunpro

Hey @mrnoone, I’d like to ask a question generally about the English translations for this grammar point as I keep getting misled by them. Taking the following example;

嬉しい ことに 日本語能力試験を合格しました
I am especially happy that I passed the JLPT.

As the ことに turns the preceding adjective, noun or たverb into an adverb, I wondered if the EN translation should perhaps mirror this a little more? So for the above example, rather than “I am especially happy”, something along the lines of “Happily, I passed…” or “I happily passed…”

Wondering on your thoughts on this. Thanks a million

1 Like

A number of sources, such as the stack exchange link or a video by 日本語の森, suggest that this grammar is somewhat stiff. Perhaps the 硬 symbol should be added?

2 Likes

We usually reserve 硬 for strictly academic/written only/extremely formal Grammar Points, while this Grammar Point is a bit stiff it’s certainly not to the degree of a 硬 Grammar Point.

For example, just from the fact that there’s the very common expression いなことに is enough to NOT validate it as a 硬 Grammar Point.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Quick question – I’m under the impression that inverting the sentence order for some of these would come off more natural.

Example:
嬉しい殊に、みんなが協力してくれるようになりました.
vs.
みんなが協力してくれるようになりましたので、嬉しい殊に.

Maybe it would need a bit more tooling for it to be grammatically sound, but that’s just my two cents.

Hi, the Bunpro entry suggests that this ことに comes from the adverb 殊, but I cannot find any other sources that support that claim. It seems to just be regular こと. Also in the 幸いなことに entry it does say that this is the こと that means “thing”.