if you don’t mind
if you would like
if possible

Structure:
Noun + でよければ

View on Bunpro

賃貸でよければ、いい家を見つけた。

I have found a good house, if you don’t mind renting

I’m struggling with this sentence. Not sure if it’s the Japanese or the translation or both. So you found a house. It’s good if one doesn’t mind renting. The part that bugs me is the change in voice in the English (“I” to “you”), but the problem (= my confusion) exists in the Japanese even where the pronouns aren’t stated. The reason is, clearly if the person got the house, and thinks it’s good, then renting is fine. There’s not “if” the renting is fine since they are doing it.

Or maybe the problem is the lack of context? I assumed the person speaking is also the one doing the renting, but is this supposed to be a real estate agent talking to their client, saying they found a good house for the client (rather than themselves)? If it’s supposed to be something like that, I guess it makes more sense, in which case I think it would be good to add context for who is speaking to preface the sentence.

1 Like

Just picture it as a natural conversation. This is a sentence said by a single person, so the pronouns are obviated because of that.

Try reading it as natural speech and I think it becomes much clearer!