instead of
in place of
in exchange for

Structure:
Verb + 代わりに
Noun + の + 代わりに

View on Bunpro

1 Like

For the second sentence you use 食べれない instead of 食べられない. Do you use the deformed version intentionally in specific sentences or do you just happen to use it because that’s what you use a lot yourself? I feel like I’m going to form bad habits by seeing the deformed versions this much.

Also, based on the first reading, this can be used by adjectives as well. Can you add that to the structure?

Another thing… the second link includes the following example:

今日は仕事へ車で行く代わりに自転車で行った。

Shouldn’t it be 行く代わりに without the の?

1 Like

Hey and sorry for the late answer! :bowing_man:

For the second sentence you use 食べれない instead of 食べられない. Do you use the deformed version intentionally in specific sentences or do you just happen to use it because that’s what you use a lot yourself? I feel like I’m going to form bad habits by seeing the deformed versions this much.

We are trying to use various forms in order to reinforce them in users :grin:

Also, based on the first reading, this can be used by adjectives as well. Can you add that to the structure?

Done!

今日は仕事へ車で行く 代わりに自転車で行った。

Shouldn’t it be 行く代わりに without the の?

That’s right, it should be:

今日は仕事へ車で行く代わりに自転車で行った。

2 Likes

DIJG also covers this as “to make up for”, as in: 昼間遊ぶ代わりに夜勉強するつもりだ。“I am going to enjoy myself in the daytime, so/but (to make up for it) I will study at night.”

Will this nuance be added?

What does that mean? How is it fun “in exchange” for it being difficult?

I’ve been puzzling with a native English speaker (who’s also learning Japanese) over this, and while we can come up with “Work is difficult but fun.”, it doesn’t sound like that would need a 代わりに in Japanese, so we’re a bit stumped.

1 Like

Upon reading the other resources it seems that 代わりに has the nuance of “to make up for”, which fits the translation much better. The translation bunpro provided confused me in the same way and this is how I was able to rationalise it

1 Like