さ - Grammar Discussion

Converts an Adjective into a Noun

Structure

• Adj[] +
  • なAdj +

View on Bunpro

1 Like

食べたことのない甘さがあるクッキーを作ってみたい。
I want to try and make a cookie that has sweetness that I have never tasted before.

Why does this sentence replace the が in the usual ことがある structure with の?

A が marking the subject in a relative clause can generally be (and often is) replaced with の. The meaning is the same.

3 Likes

Oddly enough I kind of like this, it keeps it clear what the subject is and avoids repetition. I will definitely keep this in mind for the future. Thank you @nekoyama !

What’s the difference between ~みand ~さ?
The way I learned it is that ~さ is measurable and ~み is unmeasurable but on adverts I always see 美味おいしさ, so I’m wondering if there is a more subtle difference that I’m missing.

Can someone elaborate on the Fun Fact of this entry?

I cannot find anything about it, is not even finished:

However, this use of the suffix is far less common in modern Japanese, and is known as ’

Hey there @adrianh !

It mentions the old use here.

When you say it is not finished, do you mean that nothing is displayed after ‘…and is know as…’? It is supposed to say 'However, this use of the suffix is far less common in modern Japanese, and is known as ‘poetic language’. It was primarily used during Japan’s ‘middle ages’, which spanned from (around) 1100, until close to the end of the 1500’s. ’

1 Like

Thank you so much @Fuga !

Yeah, I was referring to the sentence finishing at "also is known as ’ ", but it has been corrected :slight_smile: