がする - Grammar Discussion

smell・hear・taste, feel

Structure

• Noun + が・する

View on Bunpro

2 Likes

I just got this item in the N4 set and it was a surprise to understand that my head has an empty space for this point. Perhaps I came across it only once before or even never :thinking:
So I dove into the Dictionary of JPN grammar to look for some details.
There is one example in the point article that shows an option of omitting が in this structure (or better say using another verb form, している instead of がする):
このきれはザラザラしている。
This cloth feels rough
I am not sure if it is seen often enough to be included into the point comments, but for myself I took note of this one.

2 Likes

Hey :grinning:

The が is not really omitted in this example. It should be not used there in the first place.
There are two similar constructions that express perception (sensory and feelings).

First is Noun + が + する, where noun is noun of perception. Like 味 (taste), 気 (feeling mood).

The second one is Adverbと + する. The と adverb is basically onomatopeia (word imitating sounds) + quoting particle と.
Those adverbs also express feelings and sensory sensations.
Examples are イライラ (irritation), ざらざら (something rough, basically a sound that grains make when moved), スラっ (something being slender)

BUT if the onomatopeic word is made by doubling sound, the と particle is not used.

So:
スラっとしている something is slender (no odubled sound)
イライラしている someone is irritated (doubled sound, no と)
ザラザラしている someone/something is rough (doubled sound, no と)

5 Likes

Ow, I see the logic now. It seems since している case expresses the same idea, authors decided to mention it under the ~する article. Their point is also clear anyway :thinking:
It’s fun to see how different items link together to form various ways to express something :laughing:

2 Likes

Hi -

For the example 車の音___ - I (hear) a car, would が聞こえる not also be an acceptable ending?

2 Likes

がする focuses more on the EXISTENCE of the sound whereas 聞こえる focuses more on your ABILITY to hear the sound.

See here:

5 Likes

I thought this construction didn’t use the ている form?

1 Like

@Johnathan-Weir Hey! You can use がしている in a number of contexts where the sound or smell is constant (a lingering odor rather than a brief wif or the playing of an instrument rather than something fleeting like a passing car). Cheers!

2 Likes

@Pushindawood Must just not be very common then because it seems like がする is still often used even when the stimulus is continuous.

I guess if I think about it がしている could almost be acting like a stative verb here. The mats have and always will have a good scent. Perhaps the smell of books or a musty basement would be other cases where がしている could likely be used.

That would explain why even if a room smelled like you burned something for a couple hours (but eventually disappears) it still uses がする. Also why がしている is relatively seemingly uncommon as we tend to communicate sensory perception in the moment.

Thoughts?

I think it would help if this was put into the grammar point. I came here to ask the question, when is it a sensory perception がする and when is it a standard が+する doing the subject

1 Like

Hi,
I got this orange message while answering one of the challenge sentences. But isn’t this sentence, ending in 〜ましょう, polite, not casual? (Or is it referring to the ので?)

Screenshot_20230704-190535_Fennec_1|495x500