てくれてありがとう - Grammar Discussion

Thank you for ~ ing

Structure

• Verb + てくれて + ありがとう

View on Bunpro

1 Like

The Genki* explanation for this point also has a note about a way to thank someone for being a {noun}/{adjective}, giving the example いい友達でいてくれてありがとう. Is there already a grammar point that covers that usage? Or if it’s close enough to be counted as part of this point, perhaps there can be some example sentences to illustrate it?

* Genki II 2E, pg 171

A question about the sentence: " 遅そくなってすみません!待っていてくれてありがとうございます 。"
Is it wrong to put an お in front of 待って? If yes, why?

1 Like

Hey :smiley:

Usually, お (or ご) is used before nouns (お湯 - hot water), adjectives (お忙しい) and verb stem (お待ちください). It is generally not used with てform (though you can see it sometimes in novels, but it is not standard and widely accepted Japanese).

However, you can still use お/ご with verb stem to express the same thing. You have to slightly modify the sentence by using polite speech:

お待ち頂いてありがとうございます。

which is proper (and VERY) polite phrase. (think of お/ご+verb stem+頂く(いただく) as more polite version of verb[て] + もらう)

I hope it helps
Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi,
Does anybody know why the only answer is 待っていてくれてありがとうございます
And whyまってくれてありがとうございます。is wrong?
It tells me my answer is wrong, but I don’t know why it is wrong…

Hello, if I remember correctly, for this one you are explicitly asked to use 「待っている」as the verb, and the review is only about applying the て-form + くれてありがとう to it.
As to why use the progressive form in this context, my understanding is that it stresses the duration of the wait, or the “state of waiting”. Something along the lines of “thank you for having been waiting for me” vs “thank you for waiting for me”.

1 Like

Yes you are right, thanks… I have it in ghost review and it explicitly asks for 待っている… I feel so stupid :slightly_smiling_face:.

Could てもらってありがとう be used interchangeably in the situation where the giver/receiver of the favour is not marked by particles? IE in the question そういうことを言ってくれてありがとう, could one say そういうことを言ってもらってありがとう? Thanks!

Hi! はじめまして。 :pray:t2:

I don’t think both expressions are really interchangeable, as てもらってありがとう implies that you had the person that said such a thing say it for you (you made him say it somehow) whilst てくれてありがとう has the nuance that the words were said in your favor (said voluntarily in gratitude to you).

Though the actors of these sentences may not be marked, they are always there and are implied by the verbs もらう and くれる themselves. A good read on this is the chapter “The Invisible Man’s Family Reunion” of Jay Rubin’s “Making Sense of Japanese”.

Hope it makes any sense!

1 Like

Thanks very much!

1 Like