のように・のような - Grammar Discussion

like (noun), similar to (noun)

Structure

• Noun + のように
  • Noun + のような
  • のよう modifies the VERBADVERB or ADJECTIVE that follows
  • のよう modifies the NOUN that follows

View on Bunpro

I am confused. Since “きれい” is an adjective, why wouldn’t the correct answer here be “ように”?

1 Like

Hey :grin:

This can clear the confusion a bit I think. :+1:

As the grammar structure section indicate, it seems to say that のように and のような both modify what follows afterwards.

Is it not also possible to use these to end a sentence? For example, I found these subtitles for a Netflix show (along with the English translation).

はるか昔のことのようだ
Seems a long time ago.

I wonder if this should be included in the structure section, or is this a seperate grammar point?

1 Like

Hey :grinning:

There is a separate grammar point: ようだ :+1:

〇ように functions as an adverb, 〇ような as adjective and 〇ようだ as a predicate :+1:

3 Likes

Okay, I got into a thread of threads reading about ように and ような, but, I think this is the right grammar topic for this…

I was thinking the guidance on this said that it didn’t refer to outward appearance, but now I think I’m just still not used to a bullet point being equivalent to a /. Is that all it, is the bullet just an ‘or’?

1 Like

I believe I have found an entry for this in “A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar” on page 554. Shown in Key Sentence C.

Slightly off-topic, but the お箸はこ part of お箸はこの ように 使います is confusing me. Do you mean お箸はこ in like chopstick box, or is it like o-hashi wa kono… I cannot make sense out of any of them.

お箸は (chopsticks) この (this) ように (like) 使います (use)
-> About chopsticks, you use them like this.

Unfortunately chopstick cases get rendaku (はしこ), otherwise this would be more entertaining (use me like your chopstick case?!)

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the explanation. I am not sure how I got so confused. “Use me like your chopstick case” could be a song on a David Lynch album, hehe. :rofl:

I’m confused by お箸はしはこの__使つかいます. Why isn’t the answer そういう?

@thirdtimesthecharm
Hey :blush:

そういう doesn’t fit here because it is so-called prenoun-adjective, in other words, it can be only used before nouns to modify them. So, if verbs or adjectives follow - そういう cannot be used.

In this case we have verb 使います that follows the input field, so そういう cannot be used.

I hope it helps,
Cheers!

1 Like

Hey there

ハムスターの ように 口に食べ物を入れた

Why exactly do we use the に-particle in this case, when 口 is a noun. I’d use な instead.

ハムスターの ように 口に食べ物を入れた

I stuffed food in my mouth similar to a hamster.

ハムスターの ような 口に食べ物を入れた

I stuffed food in my hamster like mouth