exactly
just as

Structure:
Verb + とおり
Verb[ ] + とおり
Noun + どおり / とおり
Noun + の + とおり

View on Bunpro

Is there a way to tell when to use each of the two noun structures?

合格者は次つぎ のとおり です。

Those who passed are just as follows… ( precisely )

Can I ask does anyone else find this English to be quite bizarre? I’ve never come across the word just being used this way before, I was wondering perhaps is this a UK/US difference?

1 Like

@ljoekelsoey

I have changed the translation to “as follows” :bowing_man:

Should I take that to mean that American’s don’t say “just as follows”? I’m just wondering if it is something I need to add to my ‘stuff-americans-say-weird’ list… :innocent:

I’m disappointed that there’s no 計画どおり with the translation (Just according to keikaku, keikaku means plan)

1 Like

I can’t say I’ve heard “just as follows” but “as follows” is used. Though if you said the first I don’t think anyone would be confused by it.

Why is the translation past tense? Isn’t this in future tense?

2 Likes

You are writing in the structure section that there is a possibility where “Noun + とおり” could occur, but my teacher said he couldn’t think of any sentence where that would work. There is no example sentence as well. Is this just not possible or does someone have an example?

1 Like

@Dvk
It was an error, I have fixed it. Thank you for pointing it :slight_smile:

Sorry for the inconvenience!

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. Maybe the sentence “[どおり is more prevalent after a noun than とおり, especially when following kanji compounds (契約, 計画, 予定)]” would than be unnecessary, too?

2 Likes

It’s been updated! :partying_face:

I came here to ask exactly the same question. Does anybody know?

Hi there! This sentence is really tripping me up:
物事はいつも計画どおりにはいかないものだなぁ。

Can someone walk me through what the には is doing? I guess I would’ve expected something more like 物事はいつも計画どおりいかないものだなぁ。

1 Like

Hi!

Indeed, the role of には is a recurrent question, here is the grammar point on this particle combination. In this sentence, there is also the ものだ structure, a construction used to highlight information that is considered obvious.

So, it would be like saying, literally, “Everybody knows that, in regard to things, they don’t always go according to plan”.

2 Likes