ずに ず - Grammar Discussion

English translation:
without doing

Structure:
Verb[ない] + ずに

:warning: :
する → せず

View on Bunpro

I can’t help wondering how this looks similar to まま. Are they generally interchangeable ?

Well, not exactly interchangeable, but ずに seems to be replaceable for まま. For example, the first reading sentence of the grammar point:

彼は朝ごはんを食べずに仕事に行きました -> 彼は朝ごはんを食べないまま仕事に行きました

Is the ず form basically the same as ないで meaning “don’t”? As in:

去る者は追わず。

Do you have this ず as separate grammar point? If not, you should mention it’s function and meaning in the ないで or ずに grammar.

@mrnoone ?

Another grammar resource:

Most of the sentences give you the hint that you don’t need a に before a comma, so why does one of the examples have せずに 、?

1 Like

Hey :bowing_man:

My fault, fixed it!

Sorry for the inconvenience!
Cheers!

2 Likes

You should note that the に isn’t necessary and makes the phrase more stiff. Luckily there are already example sentences but the meaning page doesn’t reflect those usages.

1 Like

Hey :grinning:

I have added the information about the fact that に can be omitted

Cheers :+1:

1 Like

I’m a bit confused as to why the sentence 休まず、一日中ゲームをやり続けた uses 休まず instead of 休みず?

休まない
休まない + ず
休まず
ta-dah! :slight_smile:

The nihongo no mori video has been made private. Does anyone still have access to it?

1 Like

Seems to me like they still haven’t made the update, but still delisted the old one.
I’ve replaced it with another resource video, thank you for pointing that out!

Hi!

Whilst looking into Tae Kim’s online resource, I see that he also includes「くる」as an exception, as it becomes「こず」and not 「くず」.

Could this be included in the Exceptions or is there any consideration preventing it?

EDIT: after listening to Tezuka Sensei in the Meshclass video, I’ve realised that my request is not valid, as 「くる」follows the standard pattern, its indeterminate form being 「こ」.

間違えてすみません。 :bowing_man:t2:

良い一日を

1 Like