たものだ - Grammar Discussion

English translation:
used to

Structure:
Verb[ ] + ものだ

View on Bunpro

Misa made a video covering this grammar point that I think should be added to the readings.

Also according to her this grammar point can often be replaced by っけ so maybe it should be added to the related grammar tab. Additionally, that even when used in conversation it will become もんだ.

Also, the description should mention it’s used for things in the past that you don’t do anymore now. Though that can be somewhat concluded from the example sentences.

1 Like

“used to do x” already implies you don’t do x anymore. (or at least not to the same extent)

but the Misa video and note about っけ and もんだ are great additions!

3 Likes

Yeah I suppose so. I guess I was just thinking that that explaination would further differentiate it from other similar grammar points like たことがある.

In these later grammar points you start to get so many points that only have subtle differences so having clear distinctions can make them easier to remember.

1 Like

Love to see Misa-sensei!

Went ahead and added this to the Resources. :partying_face:

1 Like

I used to dislike eating breakfast, but now I love it.

how can i say that in japanese?
(i do not want to say “i didnt like breakfast.”)

Hiii again
Have you heard of the Hinative app? I recommend it, it was basically built for those kinds of questions! I haven’t used it in a while, but I would use it to check with natives if my sentences were natural. It’s really easy to get translations from multiple natives and learners alike, as well as corrections/suggestions on how to say something better :kissing_heart:

thank you for your reply and valuable time.

I’ve heard of it, yes. As you said, I think it is a useful site for this purpose. Have you tried ChatGPT? If you have heard or experienced it before, I do not want to make any additional explanations about it.

I hope that there are many people at a higher level than me at Bunpro who can answer this question.

Not bad yes. I liked it. It’s integrated with A.I., that’s great, I didn’t know that. Thanks for your advice.