(から) にかけて(は) - Grammar Discussion

English translation:
over (a period)
from ~ until・through

Structure:
Noun + にかけて

View on Bunpro

☞ There is another use of にかけては to indicate a field in someone/something is good.

I think you accidentally a word there.

Also, the link doesn’t work because it’s missing the “grammar_points/” part. (Only when adding / reviewing the grammar point though. It works fine when visiting https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/311)

2 Likes

@pampel

Hey!

It should be OK now :sunglasses:

Cheers,

2 Likes

I went down the grammar wormhole for にかけて due to this example:

この他方は1年を通して雨が少なく、過ごしやすい。

I may suggest on を通して to have one example of time as a medium or ‘throughout’, this distinction can get tricky due to context (I was assuming time instance belong to にかけて but of course depends on context).

This example was brought to my attention as well when I asked for help, do you think をかけて・を通して would be better?

にかけて highlights the time period itself, whereas を通して highlights the passing of.

Due to this nature in nuance, にかけて is more natural, although it’s not wrong to use を通して.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

The book “A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar” lists this as ~から~にかけて on page 101.

The book “A Dictionary of Advanced Japanese Grammar” also has this to say on page 451:

On the other hand, X ni kakete cannot be used when X represents a span of time, number of occurrences or items, a topic area, or distance/area.

It seems like half the example sentences violate this rule. Is there something I’m missing?

I think that rule is just very literal (in English). E.g. “a weekend” is a timespan of two days (can’t use にかけて), but “this weekend” is not a timespan because it also has a specific start and end point (can use にかけて because there’s a fixed end point).