characteristic of
typical of
tendency to

Structure:
Verb[stem]
Noun + っぽい
いAdj[] + っぽい
なAdj + っぽい

:warning: Often has negative connotation.

View on Bunpro

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post when I have a question about a particular sentence for the grammar point in question, but I am not sure enough to make it an error report. However, in the below sentence:

試合中、__プレーをして、審判に注意された。[荒い]

With the following translation:

“I had been playing roughly in the match, and was given a warning by the referee. [~ish]

I used 荒っぽく instead of 荒っぽい. I would think that the accepted answer (the second one) would translate to something more akin to “I made rough plays” rather than “I played roughly,” but I may be mistaken about that.

Is my original answer wrong, technically okay but not natural, or something else? Also, please let me know where I should post questions like these in the future if grammar point threads are not the proper place.

1 Like

@NickavGnaro
Hey and welcome on the community forums!

You are right! The translation fits 荒っぽく better. I will change the sentence to fit the translation more to your suggestion!

PS
When it comes to Japanese though, I would say that if っぽく is used then removing を will feel more natural:
試合中、荒っぽプレーして、審判に注意された。
試合中、荒っぽプレーをして、審判に注意された。 is still ok, but less natural

On the other hand, when っぽい is used, then を has to stay since it cannot modify a verb:
試合中、荒っぽプレーして、審判に注意された。
試合中、荒っぽプレーして、審判に注意された。is unnatural

Thank you very much for the feedback and sorry for the inconvenience!
Cheers!

2 Likes

Wow, awesome! Not only did I get a quick response and resolution to the issue, but also ended up learning more! I’ll be sure to keep an eye out for the lack of を after adverbs. Thank you

1 Like

彼の話は理屈っぽいから、あまり話をしたくはない。
Isn’t は at the end of the sentence excessive? As I understand it’s shitai -> shitakunai, but there’s no は

したくない is a direct way to say “I don’t want to do it”.

したくはない (this is the particle は) is a bit softer, “I don’t want to do it, but…”. Implying that the person may still do it. They don’t like it, but perhaps it’s necessary or hard to avoid. It’s also a bit more considerate because it’s not as direct a rejection as outright saying “I don’t want to”.

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation!
Is there a bunpro grammar point on this? Maybe it’s after N3 somewhere?
UPD: found it in N2 https://www.bunpro.jp/grammar_points/402

1 Like