たい - Grammar Discussion

want to

Structure

• Verb[stem] + たい

[たい belongs to a group of personal adjectives that can only be used to describe speaker’s/writer’s wishes/desires. If you want to describe someone’s wish/desire you have to use 「verb[stem]+たがる」 construction or indirect speech 「verb[stem]+たいと思う」]

:warning: Object of desire can either take particle を or が.

View on Bunpro

1 Like

Can I ask a question about this?

Okay, I’ve got that the grammar is Verb[stem] + たい
So the stem of 答える is こたえ, and then you add たい.
And I understand that you then need to put that in the past.
What I don’t understand is how たい becomes たかった for the past.
Is たい a verb? An adjective? And what rule is it following here?
Any help much appreciated!

1 Like

Hey :grin:

It is so called auxiliary (suffix attached to verbs) adjective. That is why it conjugates like one.

Another example is verb[stem] + やすい

In Japanese nomenclature, it is called 助動詞(じょどうし) - which is translated as “auxiliary verb”. But not all of those suffixes (たい for example :sunglasses: ) conjugate like verbs so it might be misleading.

1 Like

I see! Thank you so much!

So the auxiliary adjective たい conjugates just like any い-adjective! Got it! Thank you so much!

(Source)

1 Like

Yes, that is right!

1 Like

I think it would be helpful to have the past negative as a reference in the structure for this lesson.

2 Likes

Hey :grin:

The past negative conjugation has been added :sunglasses::+1:

Cheers,

3 Likes

In the structure box, it is shown that the polite alternative for たくない is たくありません, but only for たくない.

I know it sounds weird, but is this the same for たくなかった→たくありませんでした?

Maybe even for these? (Honestly doubt it but who knows.)
たかった→たくありました
たい→たくあります.

1 Like

@Pep95

It simply conjugates like いadjective :slight_smile:

So:
Polite non-past: たいです
Polite past: たかったです
Negative polite: たくないです/たくありません
Negative polite past: たくなかったです/たくありませんでした

are the allowed ones :+1:

I hope it helps,
Cheers

2 Likes

I entered なりたい, and it wants me to type なら instead - but the audio is なりたい. Posting in the forum so I can provide a screenshot:
grafik

And now, 2 hours later, I got it again, but this time it’s working correctly?

1 Like

@testing
I have informed the technical part of the team, the answers seem to be correct (なりたい) :+1:

1 Like

Hi, i’m sorry for asking a lot of questions, but I am really trying to understand how the grammar points are used.
In this box is says that it should be used with を or が.
But the examples never use が and even on the examples sentences page only a few use を.

It really confuses me.

Don’t worry about asking questions that’s what these grammar point forums are for (⁠◠⁠ᴥ⁠◕⁠ʋ⁠)

First, it doesn’t say that it should be used with を or が but rather able to use either. When marking an object of desire. So if the sentence doesn’t have that, then there’s nothing to mark. “I wanted to become a police officer” to become なる is always used with に, so no を or が in the なりたい sentences. For the 虫は食べたくない , the は is used for negative contrast instead. The sentence would still work with either を or が.

プロの歌手と歌いたい, again no object of desire. “I want to sing with a pro singer.” If it was この歌(を/が)歌いたい you would use either marker, with が having more emphasis

1 Like

thanks for the explanation. :slight_smile:

1 Like