って - Grammar Discussion

casual quotation

Structure

• Quote + って + Verb

[casual quotation]

:warning: Can replace と

View on Bunpro

In my review, I got this point wrong because I used って and then followed it with a polite past tense verb (言いました).

It said the verb needed to be plain, but the examples have both polite and plain verbs… so I’m bit confused about this one.

Hey!
It is ok to use って(in this case quotation marker) and polite verbs together. :+1:
It will be simply more colloquial than using と.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess when I’m doing my reviews, I find it difficult to remember when to use って or と. Please see my screenshot attached. I got the review question wrong, but it’s technically correct?

Yes, it is correct :grin:
I will add it as “alternate answer” in questions asap :+1:

2 Likes

So, I just had the review sentence:

お母かあさんは「危あぶない!」って 言いった。

My question is, if って is used for quotation, then why was 言いった necessary as well?

1 Like

Hey :grin:

Basically, って can be considered to be the contraction of both, と particle by itself or whole と言う phrase (among others).

So it all depends on how much speaker wants to shorten the phrase, basically preference.

You can say お母かあさんは「危あぶない!」って, and it will be also OK.

I hope it makes things a bit more clear,
Cheers!

1 Like

Ah, okay, that’s what I thought! Thanks for clearing it up :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m currently reading a book in which the protagonist says, 『Stuff blah blah』て言う本. I interpret this as “A book called ‘Stuff blah blah’”, but am not sure what the grammar point would be, apart from a kind of colloquial version of this (って) colloquial version of 〜と.
It’s a children’s book though, so I’m kind of surprised there are even any colloquialisms in there.
Am I correct in my assumption here?