もらう - Grammar Discussion

to receive, to get, to obtain

Structure

• Giverに・から + Recipientは・が + Nounを もらう
  • Recipientは・が + Giverに・から + Nounを もらう

View on Bunpro

:warning: Unlike あげる and くれる, に (or から) marks the giver, not the recipient

[もらう behaves similarly to くれる, but もらう is only used for receiving, while あげる and くれる are used for giving]

[If the context is clear, both the giver and the receiver can be omitted]

additional reading:

1 Like

I got the sentence “彼女に(私は)青花を____” in a review. The hint said “get” which made me think あげる, i.e. “I get her blue flowers”. Should the hint be something less ambiguous like “receive” or “get from”?

1 Like

Hey :grin:

I have changed “get” to “receive” in translations, so it will be a kind of clue. :+1:
Though the best way to distinguish is to check which particle marks the giver. In this case it is so it implies もらう :sunglasses:

Cheers!

1 Like

I understand why this should be もらう instead of くれる, but the orange hint text doesn’t seem to fit here since there is no に or から in the sentence.

@fjdksleiwoqp Hey! This particular hint was just meant to point out that when this grammar point is used, the giver is marked with に or から. Although there are no givers in this sentence (some circumstances could have prevented the sister from gifting the gift herself), we still believe that this clue helps you determine the answer without giving the answer away. Cheers!

1 Like

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.