Structure

• い-Adjective + く + する
  • な-Adjective + に + する

View on Bunpro

As in the sentences:

布団を新しくしたから気持ちいい。
I got a new futon, so it is comfortable. [lit. ‘I made it new’]]

法律を新しくしてほしい。
I want them to renew (make new) the law.

Can 新しくする mean either to renew or get something new?

2 Likes

Hey :smile:

It literally means to make something new, so among others replace the old thing with a new thing or return something to the initial state (renew).

Cheers!

2 Likes

Fantastic, thank you for the clarification! <3

1 Like

For this answer:

顔を くろくし すぎです

This seems similar to すぎる (https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/76) but I don’t remember seeing it in this verb[stem] + すぎです form. Am I forgetting a lesson?

すぎる is sometimes used like this in its stem form. The Tae Kim article linked from its grammar point mentions it in passing, but I don’t recall it being tested on bunpro.

2 Likes

I find it hard to remember when to use して or する for this grammar point.

1 Like

Hello, I have a question about the “fun fact” section, where it compares this grammar point to other similar ones.
にする is high level of control, the speaker can do it for themselves.
になる is also high level control, but there is not external target
What does “no external target” mean? Maybe my question is, could someone reword this description for me?
This might technically be a question about になる, but my question is about the description included on the にする page.
TIA!

What is the difference between する and して?
I can’t find any pattern in it and none of the resources mention anything about it. They just swap between the two without any explanation.
Also it’d be nice if bunpro gave me a hint when I’m using the wrong one explaining why it isn’t usable there instead of just marking it wrong.
Would appreciate an explanation or link explaining this because I can’t find anything

It’s just dictionary form (する) vs て form (して ) and they’re used like with every other verb. する modifies nouns, ends sentences, or is used before words/particles that follow the dictionary form etc. して is used to connect clauses, or with words/particles that follow the て form like in してください etc.

1 Like

Oh thank you very much!
I just couldn’t find a good explanation online, or an explanation at all and I just couldn’t figure out the pattern. Still wish they added an explanation to that on the grammar point though. Or make a different point for して if they aren’t going to explain that half of it.
Thanks!

I think the hint here should be “Do white” and not “Do warm”

1 Like

Yeah you’re def right

Might have better luck in the feedback and bug report thread to be seen