他に(も)・他(に)は - Grammar Discussion

I guess its because this is a standalone question kinda like if you are asking if someone wants ramen.

ラーメンは?

or something like that.

In this case it is literally just: Other?

Another bump that this might benefit from a rework. After looking at the structure breakdown and starting to read the information section a few weeks ago I initially skipped it, but now it’s the only N4 point left for me, so… gotta do it, I guess. I don’t think I’ve found any other grammar point so far that felt this overwhelming, not even the conjugations (that sometimes had a ton of rules, but at least a clear focus).

Hi guys, and thanks for the feedback about this one! Since we added the proper writeup for this grammar point, we originally anticipated that there would be a lot less issues with it, due to the topic we cover in the caution section being the main point that most users seems to get mixed up with.

At the moment we are not planning on splitting this into two separate grammar points, as the part that appears to be the most confusing is the difference between は being used primarily in negatives, and も not being able to be used in negative sentences unless it is a question. We initially thought that seeing these both next to eachother (in the same way that we group the 誰かに 誰にも grammar structure) would actually be beneficial to the learning of this point and its variations.

After having read the guide/caution section for this grammar point, are there any areas that you feel we specifically don’t explain sufficiently well? I would love to make some small adjustments if there is anything we overlooked.

1 Like

I’m back to level 0 after 4 months of SRS reviews.

Screenshot 2024-03-10 181407

Is there anyone to explain me like I’m 5?

Here are specific examples from my latest cram session I don’t understand:

Why can’t I use 他にも here?

why can’t I use 他の here?

same question, I’m using の to pair with the noun, what’s wrong here?

Also why is it sometimes a warning, and sometimes directly an error?

1 Like

What is the hint “inclusive” supposed to indicate on the prompt?

That concept is never addressed in the body of the grammar point, and in so far as I’ve found anyone using the terms in researching this grammar point, they use them in the opposite way. (that, は is exclusive, and も is inclusive)

他には(another “thing” separate from what was previously established)
他にも(another “thing” that is also part of what was previously established)

1 Like