ようだ - Grammar Discussion

it seems that, it appears that, it looks like

Structure
・Verb + ようだ
・Noun + の・ようだ
・なAdj + な・ようだ
・いAdj + ようだ

[Similarity or conjecture/judgement・based on direct/reliable information・high confidence・can be based on observation, but doesn’t have to be]
[More confident/certain than そうだ]

View on Bunpro

1 Like

I think this video should be added on the lesson links:

Being able to separate the uses so clearly helped me a lot.

3 Likes

@Daru Added! Thank you for providing this link. Cheers!

If よう is supposed to be more formal than みたい why do we use だ with it and not です?

1 Like

Think of it as みたい being more conversational, and ようだ・ようです being more used in written language.

This kind of thing happens a lot so watch out!

4 Likes

赤ちゃんですようだ

1 Like

@Johnathan-Weir @Pep95

Hey and supper sorry for late answer :grinning:

Like @Daru said.
While it is more formal, it doesn’t mean it cannot be used in conversation between friends. (But it will sound stiff, so use it when talking to teacher, your senpai at work etc.)

By the way, in Japanese literary style (the one used to write books, thesis, encyclopedias and the like), short forms are used instead of polite (long) forms. Think of it as being formal, without being “polite”. Also, unlike casual style, there are no contractions or particle skipping. That’s why its better to call it “short form” instead of “casual form”.

:+1:

Cheers,
I hope it helps :+1:

6 Likes

That seems like a better pun version :sweat_smile:

1 Like

According to this video, ようだ and みたいだ are LESS certain than そうだ。

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the そうだ in your pic is based off of appearances (thus 100%) vs. そうだ being used for hearsay. There’s a really good wasabi jpn link used in the readings that helped me try to get the handle of these differences at first

with a summary of said points being:

1. そうだ expresses judgments based on appearances
  2. ようだ and みたいだ express judgments based on situations
  3. ようだ and みたいだ also express similarity and metaphor.
  4. そうだ also expresses judgments based on other people’s information (hearsay)
  5. らしい is an ambiguous expression between judgments based on situation and other people’s information.
2 Likes

Why is
このコーラは苦い。まるでコーヒーがします
not accepted as an answer, to mean “This cola is bitter. It tastes like coffee.”?

My understanding is that がする can be used to talk about senses, to say something smells/tastes/looks like something, but here the review question does not accept this, expecting のようだ instead.

1 Like

Welcome to the community :tada:

From what I know of the まるで point, it likes to have a みたい or よう tossed in. Not saying it does or doesn’t work with がする because I honestly don’t know. But if the review is testing ようだ it’s gonna want you to use ようだ. Usually it will nudge you in the right direction if you answer with a synonym of sorts without failing you on it, so this leads me to believe you can’t use まるで with がする, or that it doesn’t want you to say it “tastes like coffee” just that it’s bitter " like coffee. " In the latter case, maybe just a translation confusion

This cola is bitter. Just like coffee.

まるで point for reference

1 Like

Hey there @Chiinox !

You are correct that がする is used when talking about senses, however, the noun before がする must be a sensory noun (匂い・香り・味・感じ・etc.). Another reason why がする can’t be used here is because まるで is usually paired with ようだ to emphasize the similarity, and pairing it with がする alone makes the sentence very unnatural.

So, if you want to use がする in this sentence you would either change the sentence a bit to say, コーヒーの味がします (it gives off coffee flavor) or まるでコーヒーのような味がします(It almost tastes like coffee).

I hope this clears it up a little!

2 Likes