like・similar to, resembling

Structure
・Verb + みたい
・Noun + みたい
・なAdj + みたい
・いAdj + みたい

View on Bunpro

1 Like

What is the difference between みたい, そう and よう?

1 Like

The linked video in the readings section is privated

2 Likes

Oh yeah, seems so! If you happen to still be looking for the video, this is probably the updated version :

1 Like

i just reviewed one of the sentences for this and the recording was of a masculine voice?? when did that happen? did i miss an update where bunpro got new recordings?

I’m learning vocabulary using Tango N4. There I encountered the following sentence:
うさぎを飼ってみたいです

In this sentence, みたい seems to be used to indicate “want to”. So basically instead of 飼いたい (?), the て form is used in conjunction with みたい.

On Bunpro, the only explanation for みたい that I can find is this one. But this doesn’t match the sentence from Tango N4. I found the following website, which supports my assumption:

So does this mean that this grammar point is simply not taught by Bunpro, or is it part of another grammar point?

Thanks for your help.

You’re looking for -てみる. The -てみたい form isn’t taught separately on bunpro but it’s very common that it’s used in this way.

1 Like

Hey @Shinzo !

The てみたい in the sentence うさぎを飼ってみたいです, uses the てみる form, as @nekoyama mentioned, and has been been conjugated using the grammar point たい. We hope this helps you understand better!

1 Like

I really struggle heavily to understand the distinction between みたい and ようにみえる. Can’t they be used more or less interchangeably? I keep mixing them up in my reviews and it’s frustrating.