かな - Grammar Discussion

I wonder

Structure
Sentence + かな

View on Bunpro

[sentence-ending particle]

Why is は instead of を used in this example sentence?

大分元気になったから、薬飲まなくていいかな。
I wonder if it is okay not to take any medicine, because I feel much better.

1 Like

@deltacat3 The は here is placing more emphasis on 薬. It would be more like saying, “As for the medicine (that I got from the pharmacy), I wonder if it is alright that I don’t take it,” rather than “I wonder if it is alright that I don’t take medicine (of any kind).” Does that make sense? Cheers!

1 Like

@Pushindawood Ah, that is quite a simple concept! Although, I was under the assumption that it was common practice to combine particles to get this effect. Such as 「には、では、への、etc…」. So does this mean that there is a limit to which particles can be replaced with は to highlight/emphasise?

I think I may have just opened a long neglected can of worms. (o_Oメ)

Would you consider adding the negative (ない+かな)to either this entry or separately? I believe the inflection changes to “I hope”

Edit: There is also the ないかな that also keeps the “wonder if not/it isn’t” meaning but then it can switch without the の (“I wonder if true or not”) or then it can turn into the aforementioned “I hope”. Could you guys consider a separate entry for this grammar point given the multiple meanings?

1 Like

Not sure if it’s relevant enough, but could the hiragana switch to the kanji version when hovering over this grammar point?

It’s this one if I’m not mistaken?

@Pep95 Hey! While 哉 is technically the kanji that is associated with this grammar point, it is almost never used in day-to-day speech/writing. 哉 is mostly reserved for 短歌 (Japanese poems) or 俳句 (haikus). Cheers!

1 Like

Hello my question is not for the かな。 but the のかな part of some of the examples.
exp. 君は何を考えているのかな。
Am I right to asume that the の indicates a question?
What exactly is the diffence between sentenses with and without の?
I also wonder if it’s possible to reprase the の with a か.

1 Like